Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Zoomorphic 'millefiori' Boar brooch  (Read 1431 times)

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
Zoomorphic 'millefiori' Boar brooch
« on: April 29, 2014, 07:43:40 pm »
Ave!

Rare Zoomorphic Brooch with Mosaic Inlay from Roman Dalmatia, ca. 2nd Cent AD

43mm/6.3gm

We sent pix of this brooch to our Oxford scholar friend and here is his educated ID for the piece -

"When I first saw it I was sure it was not from Roman Moesia, but rather from Pannonia or Dalmatia. As it was discovered in Croatia, that hones it down to a style very specific for this region. It is well preserved - both enamel and pin. This brooch is dated to 2nd early 3rd Cent. AD. Usually most of these brooches are considered to be earlier - late 1st to early 2nd Cent AD. The geometric ones are dated slightly later. This one is a combination of both - being geometric in the middle and having two attachments on both sides representing tusks of a wild boar. Very rare in this condition."

Superb example of this type brooch with no missing pieces in the mosaic. Pin intact, but not functional. Boar-shaped finial intact!

Our host, Joe S has a similar variety in the store, noted as 'museum quality'. [url]https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?param=34494x00.jpg&vpar=1617&zpg=39902&fld=https://www.forumancientcoins.com/Coins2/[url]

I'd be happy to hear anyone's comments as to the differences between the two.

Best regards,

Kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
Re: Zoomorphic 'millefiori' Boar brooch
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 11:03:59 am »
Hi Kevin
 I can tell you it is beautiful.. ;) +++

Congrat's

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 06:32:58 pm »
Very lovely piece indeed!

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 10:44:27 am »
Very nice!

I think yours and Joe's are basically the same family - enameled complex form brooches - but regional variations.  There was clearly a fad during part of the 2nd century for these brightly enameled oddly shaped brooches.

I like the creature on yours and the fact that you can see from the bottom that it was a separate bronze piece riveted on.

Did you clean it?  I recently received a Roman belt hanger stud with millefiori enamel.  It required cleaning and it was very challenging.  The millefiori bits are very delicate and can come out easily.  I would like to add some sort of liquid adhesive to help stabilize it but haven't figured out what to use.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 05:26:20 pm »
Ave Shawn et al,

Yes, we cleaned this brooch and it arrived in similar condition as Joe's brooch. We used the dreaded and damned Mint State Restoration solution to remove/dissolve all of the bronze related encrustations. Just a 30 minutes in the soak, and then finished with a common sharp scalpel, then a mini-SBBB, wax and flip. No re-patination was needed.

Here is another similar enameled 'millefori-style' brooch as received a few days ago. Crappy photo, so please forgive. We'll present better after the cleaning is finished.

Best regards to all,

Kevin

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 06:46:01 pm »
Ave!

I pegged down the 1st brooch. It's Hattatt 600, no question. See his line drawing below for confirmation. I feel a bit smug that in his collection, the pin was missing.  8)

As for the second example, I can't find an exact match. The closest I can find is 1118. He notes it as an equal-ended plate brooch, c. 2nd cent. Again, see below my the brooch as 'finished'.

Any thoughts?

Best,

Kevin

All coins are guaranteed for eternity