Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Comparing die similarities of Pautalia and Nikopolis ad Istrum  (Read 2048 times)

Offline rennrad12020

• Caesar
     I recently acquired a coin which offered a couple of interesting comparisons.  From these comparisons two questions have arisen.

1.   Do the similarities of the obverse dies of Caracalla from Nikopolis ad Istrum and Pautalia stem from: (a) a traveling die engraver;  (b) a copying of a model or (c) just similar style.

2.  Do similarities in the depiction of Cybele stem from: (a) a cult image either from
     Rome or Metroon; (b) a stylistic rubric for depicting her and other female
     divinities or (c) options from question 1.   

AE 29 14.1gr. Caracalla Pautalia (obv depicted on left side and reverse on right)

Ob: [AVT K M AV]RH ANTWNEINO C
Laureate head right   (Ruzicka obv. #26 recorded with Athena rev. only pp.141)
Rev: OVLPIAC PAVTALIAC
Cybele seated on high-backed, elaborate throne with patera in right hand outstretched and left arm resting on tympanum; 2 lions at feet; all facing left.

This reverse is unrecorded in Ruzicka and Varbanov (E) for any of the Severan dynasty.  This obverse legend with the break from the truncated neck at the omega sigma is similar to Nikopolis ad Istrum Caracalla Gallus (AMNG I/I 1543 (Nike on globe), 1553 (River god),1557 (Tyche), 1562( Eagle) in addition to my 1540* (Artemis) and Pat's 1551 (Herakles).  Pick pp. 405.

Other similarities are the spelling of ANTWNEINOC (although without nu + epsilon ligature on Pautalia specimen), the shape and style of fillet ribbons and the jaw-line.  I have included the obv of AMNG I/I 1562 for comparison.

Cf. these 2 different contemporary reverses of Cybele enthroned from Nikopolis ad Istrum (She was much more often depicted as riding a running lion.)

#1 Septimius Severus Gallus Nikopolis ad Istrum

Ob: AVK L C CEVHROC P
Laureate head right
Rev: VP  AV GALLOV(Ligature) NIKOPOLITW( ohne nu)
Cybele enthroned left, wearing mural crown, left arm resting on drum, in right hand patera, two lions at feet

AMNG-; Varbanov (E)-; CNG Mailbid 75 lot # 784

#2 AE 27 Plautilla Nikopolis ad Istrum Gallus (just reverse attached)

Ob: PhOVL PLAV TILLA.CEB
Draped bust right
Rev: VP AVR. GALLOV NIKOPOLITWN (Lamda to nu faint, but legible)
Cybele enthroned left wearing mural crown flanked by two lions.  Her right arm is outstretched with a patera (not pine branch as often in imperial roman issues) and left is holding vertical scepter and resting on a drum.

AMNG-; Varbanov (E) I 3190  This coin is a double die match with Pat Lawrence’s specimen.  There is a die break on the reverse legend of both at the Nu of ethnic.

The only other seated Cybele from Nikopolis for any of the Severan dynasty is the different reverse die with OV ligature for Septimius Severus.  As with many Plautilla coins, I think this is a rare issue.

The throne that Cybele is on appears to be similar to thrones depicted on specimens with Securitas, Venus and some other seated divinities on Roman denarii, as well as Cybele herself. Also in a Faustina senior denarius of a throne with her children on it.  This seems to argue against these thrones being particular to a Cybele cult statue.

Cf. the Julia Domna Cybele Aureus attached for the throne style.  Is this a characteristic of a cult statue or did the engraver use an Imperial coin as a model?

Other similarities are the position and style of the two lions and some details of Cybele’s chiton (or Himition?); namely its drape, pleats and hem.

An obvious example of a throne that does not conform to the style of the examples I attached would be a Markianopolis enthroned Cybele, although the throne is still depicted with a high back but with different details.

Maybe some one knowledgeable about cult imagery, esp. for Cybele can shed some light on these questions for me.

John Wrenn

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Re: Comparing die similarities of Pautalia and Nikopolis ad Istrum
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 02:23:06 pm »
I keep thinking about such questions.  The close relationships are plain to see, once you know the coins.  But I am restrained by the absence of contemporary documentation (external to the dies themselves) concerning the use of dies or employment of their engravers among these cities, closely linked though they are by documented roads and, of course, by the rivers and sea lanes along the coast.  The possibility is plain.  A die could be lent in the hands of a government courier, and metal workers, engravers and hammerers (of repoussé) and chasers all could travel as easily as New Testament apostles or any kind of merchant.  But with all the abundant technical and stylistic evidence of the coins and other fine artisan work, we have no Vitruvius of small arts, no Cennino Cennini, no Villard de Honnecourt, nothing like Leonardo's notebooks.  Even for free painting and sculpture, we have practically nothing contemporary with the works themselves and nothing at all for the arts under the Empire.  As for signatures, they tell the same story: they are Greek.  Even when found in western contexts, the signatures are Greek.  The Empire USED highly skilled artisans; paying them was sufficient.  They boasted of owning antiquities, especially opera nobilia.
So, a few days ago, in the Identifications category, discussing the always difficult Antoninus Pius portraits, Curtis pointed out similarities to Philippopolis dies, but a categorical die match is requisite, just as a starting point.  We don't have one.  Often, evidently, Rome portraits were studied, and, evidently the portraits of some emperors were monitored, especially in places directly governed by Rome (you get to inland Asia Minor, or Cilicia, or usually Egypt, and the portrait is more generalized, at best).
At the time of Caracalla's marriage there was such a spate of Greek Imperial coinage that they may have had no choice of fresh models but had to replicate in common.  Pautalia four-coil snake reverses of that period are almost as 'bad' as campgates to sort out.
I'm still fussing over my Macrinus portraits, though eventually some idea of the number of engravers employed should emerge.  They proved much harder than I had antiicpated, even in those 14 months, and there is only one case where I still think an engraver "went with" Pontianus from Marcianopolis to Nicopolis.  I write "went with", because who knows what other work he was engaged in besides, or where?  All I have is a style and technique that are exceptional in both places.
As for the Mother of the Gods, replica statues and statuettes of her seem to be alike, whether found in Greece or Italy (they usually are found in Greece): I mean, the enthroned goddess with that bizarre-backed throne, with the pair of lions at her feet, with the cymbal at her left elbow.  Who knows whether the statue in Rome was not derived directly from the one in the Metroon in Athens.  The conservative Rome religious establishment, it seems, would not have cared for anything even vaguely Phrygian.  As for the coins, look below her right arm: the back of the throne is missing, and above her shoulders, therefore, it looks like something tacked on.  So perhaps fine Rome dies, aureus or sestertius dies, were the models in the Balkan and Pontic mints?
Since these questions do exercise my mind as well as yours, I would add one thing I am pretty sure of: that the criteria will be different from one time to another, and from one place to another.
BTW, Pick (I can get the ref. if you don't have it) did notice already the relations of some Danubian mints, such as Philippopolis and Nicopolos, to Pontic region mints, and I am quite sure of relations between Philippopolis and Nicopolis--from time to time, but not always.  Further I have not been able to go.  It takes more coins than I have been able to gather!  Also, stylistic study demands lots of assimilating and lots of re-examining and re-assessing.  Wishful thinking and unwise doubts as well are forever rearing their heads.
Curtis has studied some obverse dies used for coins at more than one mint early in the Severan period.  He might have time to discuss them,  but I can't; I don't even know all that may be in question.
Pat L.
For Meter Theon of several types and in a different style from the above, see Ellen Reeder's article in AJA 91:3, 1987, pp. 423-440.
P.S.
For Caracalla, the Pautalia obv. has  :Greek_Alpha: :Greek_Upsilon_2: :Greek_Rho: :Greek_Eta: as I see it, where the NadI obv. has the characteristic  :Greek_Alpha: :Greek_Upsilon_2: :Greek_Rho:
I mean, Gallus still likes the decorative values of marked abbreviations.

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 07:10:35 pm »

I have never had the "eye" to really see and capture style differences - that is why I always defer to others like Dr. Lawrence. I have managed, though, to get pretty good at seeing die matches - easy for hand made dies, like provincials. Here is an example where an obverse dies was shared between the two cities of Dionysopolis and Marcianopolis - by the state of wear of the die I would say that Dionysopolis got it after its use at Marcianopolis. In Asia Minor die sharing was wide spread and is well documented - cf Kraft. Only in the last so many years have there been more studies of the die sharing in Thrace and Moesia. For Gordian III there is a lot of similarity between the dies used at the various Moesian and Thracian cities - Messembria, Dionysopolis, Tomis, Marcianopolis - which might suggest some sort of interaction - sharing engravers etc. The idea of a regional mint, minting for several cities has been suggested but I don't think it gained much traction.  The example I include here even shows remarkable similarities in the reverse dies.

c.rhodes

Offline rennrad12020

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 10:19:38 pm »
     Very interesting C. Rhodes to have an obv  die link for two cities in Thrace/Moesia!  Here is a coin that I spotted in a dealer's sold listings which I think is quite interesting as well.  As I don't have it in hand I am not sure if perhaps he made a mistake in cataloguing, or if it is genuine.  It has that tell-tale Markianopolis Caracalla obverse under Quintianus and a worn Gallus Nikopolis ad Istrum reverse.  It would be quite a find if it exists!

John Wrenn 

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 12:06:47 am »
Well here's your Caracalla die, with PIOS and all, of Quintilian, this time with a proper reverse.
It HAS happened that persons pairing images in Photoshop have mismatched them.
Can an end-of-reign malleolus really have been able to pick up a more-than-decade-old reverse die to use with such an obverse as this--and of anotther mint, besides?!
This IS the same obverse die as you illustrate.
Pat
• 25 07 03 AE24  11.05g  Marcianopolis.  Issued by Quintilian.  Caracalla, laureate, head to r.  PIOS AVG AN      TONINOS.  Rev., Hades-Serapis, Kerberos at his feet, seated to l., wearing kalathos (which punctuates the legend).  VP KVNTIALI A NOV MARKIANOPOLI and across field T / ON.  Pick, AMNG I, 1, p. 218, no. 636, evidently the same dies as his ex. 1.

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 04:02:43 am »
I think this was the usual Greco-Roman (outside of her homeland) Cybele, Mother of the Gods as a CULT IMAGE.  I know that C. Vermeule, pls. VI-VII in The Cult Images of Imperial Rome shows her riding the lion, but I have difficulty with that sitting in some cramped little cella.  Needless to say, if she is the Urgottheit of Asia Minor, all the way back to Hacilar and Çatal Hüyük, then her cat as her vehicle is certainly the oldest, but that's another question.
Often all the extremities are broken, but the Athens one does have a lion.  There are also terracotta figurines; one is illustrated small in the 1987 Antikenmuseum Berlin guidebook (still in Charlottenburg), Vitrine 14, 1, no. 17, from House 17 at Priene (the whole Vitrine is small art from Priene).
Pat L.

Offline rennrad12020

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 01:22:18 pm »
     Thanks for the images Pat.  I have not been able to find any monumental sized statuary with the back of the throne depicted.  I think Vermeule may be correct about Cybele riding the lion as an ancient cult image.  It is very common on terracotta lamps and coins. 

Here is my rather worn example:

AE 26-28 Septimius Severus Gallus Nikopolis ad Istrum

Ob: L. CEPTI CEVHROC P (Varb. ss)
Laureate head right
Rev: VP.AVR.GALLOV NIKOPOLI
Ex: PROC ICTRON
Cybele wearing mural crown, holding scepter and drum, riding on running lion right

AMNG I/1 1316 abweichungen (variant) #2 Musi Arigoni (Ex:PROC ICTR)

The Markianopolian throne has those cross shaped corners, which are different from the ones depicted on Imperial issues and those from Pautalia and Nikopolis ad Istrum.   I have attached a statuette found in Turkey which dates to the reign of Gordian III to compare with the two reverses from Markianopolis; the first issued under Flavius Ulpianus(Caracalla obv 209-212AD) and the second issued under Faustanius (Sept Sev obv 205-209?AD).  This style is on terracotta lamps found in Italy as well.

John Wrenn

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 03:52:49 am »
I can't recall seeing a Mother of the Gods on a leaping lion shown in one of those tetrastle facade coins.  Pictorial compositions are very, very rarely shown in those shrines which stand for looking into the doorway of a temple at its image: this convention allowed them to show which divinity's temple it referred to.  Sheer frequency in coin types does not imply that they were using a pictorial sort of image as a cella statue, which is what is meant by 'cult statue'.  Certainly the Mother on the Lion was an object of cult worship and was revered, but that is not the same thing.
For example, you have the Artemis Huntress at Augusta Traiana set on a high base in a wooded area, protected by a roof but without any walls, just as the Aphrodite of Knidos was set up in her round monopteros, so as to be viewed from all sides, at Knidoos.  This monopteros (imitated at Hadrian's Villa and thence in a number of English gardens) protected her delicately painted surfaces, but though she was the principal attraction at Knidos, so that they preferred bankruptcy to giving her up, she was NOT the cult statue in the actual temple.  Iris Love's excavation a generation ago did locate and uncover the foundation of her monopteros.
Pat L.
P.S.  I don't think Pheidias would like this, but here is cult statue par excellence.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=47391.0

• 07 02 03 AE 29 Augusta Traiana.  Issued by Sikinnios Klaros (Sicinnius Clarus).  Caracalla (rather than Geta, as listed: Clarus and laureate, though the obverse legend is missing).  Rev., Pavillion or shrine in a wooded grove or garden, possibly round with conical roof rather than "four columned" (numismatic usage for as many as you can count), since there is no indication of a pediment.   Within the pavilion, Artemis Huntress, just like Diane la Chasseresse of Versailles (now Louvre).  hEG SIKINNIOV KLARO[OV AVGOVSTES and in exergue TRAIANES.  This is Varbanov II, p. 26, no. 381, citing Mushmov, Schonert-Geiss, and CNG 46, June 1998, no. 805 (and probably illustrated from that source).
The Varb. reference has the number from the Bulgarian edition.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity