Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Julia Domna - need help with ID# pls....  (Read 813 times)

Offline newone

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
Julia Domna - need help with ID# pls....
« on: January 03, 2006, 09:47:01 pm »
AE28  6 gm. Nice bust of Julia Domna right. Reverse shows figure ( maybe Fortuna) standing, facing left holding something in rt. hand. From what I can read on the reverse it goes something like this:  :  KA :Greek_Lambda:XADONIWN. Any thoughts? thanks...
May our troops return home safely.........only through their bravery, dedication and diligence are we able to freely post on this site.

Offline bpmurphy

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Julia Domna - need help with ID# pls....
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 10:01:54 pm »
Euboea, Chalkis. Not near my books at the moment to give you a reference #.

Barry Murphy

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 11:35:01 pm »
With some trepidation...but I have a bit of trouble identifying the style with the only Julia Domnas BCD listed in his auction catalogue, Lanz 111, nos. 304-305, and if the ethnic really begins with Kappa rather than Chi, there remains Calchedon, spelled KALChADONIÔN, though the one in Rec Gén, p. 303, no. 81, pl. XLVIII, 3, is smaller, "Æ 21-24" than the one in question.  On the other hand, 6g for Æ28 seems pretty light, and from the photo (not very good in Forni reprint) it seems to be the right sort of coin.
Take your choice, but it depends on whether the ethnic starts with K or with X.  But Barry know lots more coins than I do, and I can find nothing like it in Lindgren.
Pat L.

Offline newone

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 12:22:25 am »
My fault - it's an AE23. I shoulda' known that. :tongue: The reverse starts with a K. It reads KALCADONI :Greek_Omega:N. Seems to be a good match for the Rec Gen 81. Thanks!
May our troops return home safely.........only through their bravery, dedication and diligence are we able to freely post on this site.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity