Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: De Luynes collection?  (Read 2095 times)

Offline JBF

• Caesar
De Luynes collection?
« on: June 09, 2020, 04:18:21 pm »
I am thinking about getting the book(s) on the De Luynes collection, but my French is poor, and I would mainly be interested in it for the pictures.  I assume they are photographs, but I don't necessarily know that.  Are they photographs and how well are they done?  Should I expect Greek (my main focus), or does it also have Roman, Byzantine and or Medieval?  I know it is presented by Babelon and I am sure it would be interesting especially if I could find a translation.  I believe De Luynes wrote a book on Metaponte, Southern Italy being the focus of my focus.

I have the Gulbenkian two volumes, "Greek Coins" (Kraay and Hirmer), the Dewing collection and SNG Copenhagen, I am always interested in finding (for me) new rarities and artistic wonders.  Should I expect to find anything new and beautiful in the De Luynes collection or have I probably already seen it before, elsewhere?  De Luynes is in a different time period and different wonders where available at that time, again does the variety and quality of the coins, and of the photography make it worthwhile looking at the De Luynes collection, even if I might struggle with the French?  Inquiring minds want to know.

Kind Regards,
JBF
John

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: De Luynes collection?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 02:25:29 am »
The volumes of the "Catalogue de la collection de Luynes" by Ernest Babelon is available online, so you can get an impression of it there (even if you finally prefer to have something printed on paper  :) ):
https://gallica.bnf.fr/services/engine/search/sru?operation=searchRetrieve&version=1.2&collapsing=disabled&rk=21459;2&query=dc.relation%20all%20%22cb399523297%22
(I hope that this link is working  :-\ )

Regards

Altamura

All coins are guaranteed for eternity