Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Peculiar helmeted head  (Read 2262 times)

Offline Britannicus

• Caesar
    • Eros on Roman Provincial Coinage
Peculiar helmeted head
« on: April 14, 2016, 06:04:26 am »
Can anyone help with this? A little helmeted head, facing, in some kind of grey-green stone, attached to a metal mount (38x50 mm.) with some floral adornment. It was purchased in a lot with Roman coins mostly from the Balkans.
- Francis

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: Peculiar helmeted head
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 07:16:32 am »
If you hadn't said it was from a Roman lot, I would have thought Indian and not a relic from western civilization.  

Offline Britannicus

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 02:29:07 pm »
I was thinking more in the direction Iranian/Scythian. The guy I bought it from had coin material mostly from the Balkans and Syria.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 12:04:34 pm »
Definitely Eastern style.

I don't know how old.  Could be early Turkic.  There was a revival in the use of human imagery under the early Turkic people in the Near East as seen on some of the coins of the Zengids and Atabegs and on Seljuk metalwork.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Britannicus

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2016, 04:24:26 am »
Yes, that sounds plausible - I have plenty of those Zengid, Artukid etc. coins with human images.
I just wish the guy I acquired it from had made a note on where he got if from!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity