Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Forum purchase o' the day  (Read 143766 times)

Offline Johnny

• Conservator Princeps, Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Forum purchase o' the day
« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2008, 09:26:27 pm »
nice looking coin Chris

beautiful obverse on it 

cheers

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2008, 03:19:38 pm »
Another to add to my slowly growing early Severan collection. I really love the reverse on this one. Most of the Julia Domna silver reverses are sort of...well...standard and a bit run of the mill for my tastes, but I really fell in love with this one. Too bad the celator allowed his apprentice to cut the reverse legend;D I just picked it up from the post office today, so I am just gonna use Joe's photo and description, but it is much prettier in hand!

Chris

Interesting "error coin". The celator mixed up the final two letters of the reverse legend. The coin reads VICRT instead of VICTR[IX].

Silver denarius, cf. RIC IV 536, SRCV III 632, Cohen 194, EF, Rome mint, 2.739g, 19.8mm, 180o, 194 A.D.; obverse IVLIA DOMNA AVG, draped bust right; reverse VENERI VICRT (sic), Venus, seen from behind, naked to below the buttocks, holding palm and apple, resting left elbow on column

Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline Callimachus

• Caesar
« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2008, 07:54:57 pm »
Here's my favorite Forum purchase of the day -- actually purchased some time ago.  I'd been looking for a nice example of this coin to complete the set.  Thanks Joe.

Philip I antoninianus, RIC 21 (4.15 gm, 22 mm).

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
« Reply #78 on: July 22, 2008, 04:57:01 pm »
This Forum purchase is my most recent arrival, a hemidrachm of Lamia in Thessaly. The obverse shows the wreathed head of Dionysos, and the reverse is a volute krater, a mixing vessel for wine and water, with an ivy leaf above it, and a prochous to the right.

This coin has rough surfaces that show when you magnify the image, but I think it is quite a handsome specimen anyway.

It is interesting to compare the krater with the second image, a trihemiobol of Thasos (not from Forum) - you can see the design is very similar, but not identical.  Both coins are celebrating the ecstatic effect of drink. The ivy leaf of Dionysos above the krater makes the association very clear.   A prochous is a small dipping jug used to transfer the mixture to a cup.

The Lamia hemidrachm is 12mm, 0.82g.  The Thasos coin is 12mm, 0.70g.
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #79 on: July 23, 2008, 03:48:04 am »
a very nice aquisition moonmoth.

the Thasos coin is not nearly as delicate a rendition, but i do like the image of the Satyr with his cup. it looks like he's on his way to a BYOB party!

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2008, 03:50:49 am »
a very nice aquisition moonmoth, and a lovely profile of Dionysus (almost Apollo-like).

the Thasos coin is not nearly as delicate a rendition, but i do like the image of the Satyr with his cup. it looks like he's on his way to a BYOB party!

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2008, 05:41:16 am »
Thanks.  I had a lot of Forum bucks, and I wanted to get something good with them .. the book price was almost 20 times as much as the Thasos coin cost, and would never have bought it normally.  I have already shown the Thasos coin in another thread, but repeated it here for the comparison. 
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2008, 04:24:08 pm »
This arrived from Forum today.  It may not be in perfect condition, but I think it is a pretty little thing, with simple design and symbolism. (And it will go nicely on my Mercury page.)

Copper anonymous quadrans, probably first or second century CE.
Mint and Date: Probably Rome; date not known.
Size and Weight: 14mm, 2.09g
Obverse: Winged petasus.
Reverse: Winged caduceus.
S C
Ref: RCV (2000) 2928; RIC II Anonymous Quadrantes 32.

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
« Reply #83 on: August 31, 2008, 10:19:12 am »
Hi,

Not so often I buy a Syracuse Ae (and not so often I buy from Forum  :-[)
Just odered it a few minutes ago and already looking forward to having it in hand :

Syracuse, Sicily, Third Democracy, Timoleon, c. 344 - 339 B.C.

20435. Bronze hemilitron, Calciati 72, SNG ANS 477, choice VF, 12.076g, 25.9mm, 270o, Syracuse mint, obverse "IEUS ELEUQERIOS", laureate head of Zeus Eleutherios right; reverse "SURAKOSIWN", thunderbolt, eagle right; green patina;

Regards
Potator

Offline arizonarobin

• Caesar
  • Ms. arizonarobin :)
« Reply #84 on: September 03, 2008, 04:50:15 pm »
I fell in love with this one at first sight- Can't wait to get my hands on her!

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
« Reply #85 on: September 13, 2008, 11:06:29 am »
Here it is, arrived this morning.
A great coin in my opinion :

Thank you Joe
Potator

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #86 on: September 13, 2008, 02:54:44 pm »
I love these. I recently had one where the reverse was completely corroded away but still
a pleasure to look at.

Andreas
Andreas Reich

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #87 on: September 14, 2008, 02:38:48 pm »
Everyone likes, understandably, horse protomai, hemi-horses, whether for half obols (such as those Forvm cited, SNG Cop 35-36, or for this hemidrachm), and so do I, but I chose this coin for its Late Classical eagle with folded wings, never mind that its hind part is a flat strike.  But that is the only reference, not counting the "--" ones, that Forvm provided, and I know, or have books for, practically nothing for Aiolis.  Well, here it is, with KY for Kyme.  Just look at its talons, and the pony really is nice, too.  It is a hemidrachm, 1.912g, 13.3mm, axis 6h, with part of magistrate's name.
I post it before looking it up, to go with the beautiful Zeus preceding in this thread.**
Pat L.
** Well, compare this didrachm, http://www.coinarchives.com/a/lotviewer.php?LotID=216671&AucID=302&Lot=270 and this drachm http://www.coinarchives.com/a/results.php?results=100&search=Kyme and, of course, all her stephanophoroi have her whole horse.

click to zoom

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #88 on: October 10, 2008, 10:01:00 pm »
I just recieved this tet today and had to post. It is a bit worn and a tad ragged, but I really like it!

Severus Alexander, Billon tetradrachm, Dattari 4278 var (obv legend); Milne 2039 var (same); BMC Alexandria -; Geissen -; Curtis -; SNG Cop -; Emmett 3093 (R3), F, 9.120g, 26.3mm, 0o, Alexandria mint, 230 - 231 A.D.; obverse A KAI MAP AVP CEV ALEXANDROC, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right; reverse L I (year 10), draped bust of Athena right, wearing Attic helmet decorated with sphinx and quadriga of Helios, palm in front

Chris

Offline Johnny

• Conservator Princeps, Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #89 on: October 11, 2008, 08:42:10 pm »
Very nice coin Chris

definately nothing wrong with the wear on it.  It still has great detail, and fantastic eye appeal

great buy.  congrats

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #90 on: October 12, 2008, 10:23:21 am »
Very nice coin Chris

definately nothing wrong with the wear on it.  It still has great detail, and fantastic eye appeal

great buy.  congrats

I am with you. I really like this coin, but here is a link to a not so worn one. Check out the reverse. One of the finest on a tetradrachm that I have ever seen. http://www.coinarchives.com/a/lotviewer.php?LotID=84348&AucID=90&Lot=1179
I have my doubts that I will ever own a finer example that I do now, but I have many years in front of me...you never know.

Chris

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #91 on: October 15, 2008, 06:34:50 pm »
The Forvm catalog has been kind to me lately...here is my latest aquisition:

Rome mint, Julia Paula denarius, 219-220 A.D. AR, 18.7mm 2.53g, RSC III 6a, RIC IV 211
O: IVLIA PAVLA AVG, draped bust right
R: CONCORDIA, Concordia seated left, patera in right, left elbow rests on arm of throne, star in left field

One down in Elagabalus' family, a few more to go. Not only did the lovely Julia Paula fit right in with my collection, I really like the reverse. Concordia seems to be "kicking back" and relaxing a bit more than most "seated" types. I like the little things I guess.  ;D

Chris

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
« Reply #92 on: October 16, 2008, 01:40:38 pm »
I like it.

Concordia seems to be "kicking back" and relaxing a bit more than most "seated" types.

Chris

I agree.  I think it's the position of Concordia's left arm.  The elbow is pushed back making the posture appear more relaxed.

NumisMatty

« Reply #93 on: November 06, 2008, 08:01:03 pm »
My best (and only) Celtic stater so far! I know it is Iceni and around mid to late 1st Century BC. Can anyone tell me anything more about this coin?  8)

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #94 on: November 07, 2008, 03:30:13 am »
It looks like the same type as this (an old photo, sorry.)  0.8 grammes. All I know of this is that it was sold as a first century Iceni "boar type unit" and was a detector find in Cambridgeshire.  The obverse shows a boar with a ridge of hair standing up on its back. I look forward to hearing from the experts!

Offline wie-wolf

• Consul
« Reply #95 on: November 07, 2008, 05:19:54 am »
apollon and his lyra. i ordered it yesterday from forum. hope it´ll arrive soon.
apollon is my favourite olympic goddness.
w.
addendum:
now in my hand! and i love it!

Offline fordicus

• Consul
« Reply #96 on: November 17, 2008, 02:47:06 pm »
here's my latest forvm purchase o' the day, a nice budget septimius severus sestertius...

"Orichalcum sestertius, RIC IV 720, choice aVF, Rome mint, 21.780g, 29.4mm, 0o, 196 A.D.; obverse L SEPT SEV PERT AVG IMP VIII, laureate head right; reverse FORTVNAE REDVCI S C, Fortuna seated left holding rudder and cornucopia, wheel under seat; nice green patina, superb portrait; scarce"

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #97 on: November 22, 2008, 11:22:40 am »
This one is not your standard "coin of the day", but with it's great obverse portrait and freaky die combo, I feel that it is worthy!  :)

Geta copper assarian (possible limes production) 16.6mm 2.675g
O: P SEPT GETA CAES PONT, draped bust right
R: NIKOPOLITWPPOC (or similar, best guess...), Hermes left with purse and caduceus

If anyone has a similar or any info beyond what archivum has already helped me with feel free to let me know.

Thanks
Chris

PS Quick plug for the Forvm. I found this in the "unattributed" section of the Forvm catalog for next to nothing (cost wise). There were a bunch of really interesting coins there and if you are looking for a low cost way to advance your collection, that is as good a place as any! I will be making it a regular stop when doing catalog searches for my next aquisition. Thanks Joe!

C.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #98 on: December 21, 2008, 10:58:01 pm »
Just won this one on Forum's ebay sales.  My first Forum purchase and I think it is a beauty!  Thanks Joe, can't wait to get it...

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #99 on: December 22, 2008, 01:50:52 pm »
One of the most famous coins of the Claudian-Julian time. Congrats!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity