Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Forum purchase o' the day  (Read 143717 times)

Offline silvernut

• Caesar
Forum purchase o' the day
« Reply #100 on: December 22, 2008, 06:06:01 pm »
I feel like a bit of a show off, but I'm really soooo excited about my latest FORVM purchase! I had never dreamt of owning a Gordian II denarius, but a combination of an enhanced monthly budget and FORVM (as always!) pricing their coins very reasonably, meant that I could jump in and buy it. It's a bit "overtoned", if that's a word, but it's a beauty, nonetheless!

Regards,
Ignasi

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #101 on: December 22, 2008, 09:38:02 pm »
Beautiful coin, silvernut! I kinda like the "over-toned" look!

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

gavignano

« Reply #102 on: December 22, 2008, 10:30:34 pm »
Great coin silvernut!  Can a monthly budget do it now for a Gordian 1????  :)

Offline silvernut

• Caesar
« Reply #103 on: December 23, 2008, 03:07:11 am »
Thanks for the compliments! Obviously, "enhanced" budget means that I used January's, to give myself a Christmas gift. I think Gordian I will have to wait, seeing the prices at which they go... I'm hoping FORVM carries a decent one once I've recovered from the blow!

Regards,
Ignasi

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #104 on: December 31, 2008, 11:54:27 am »
Forum is fantastic!  I bought the above Nero on Dec 21st....it arrived today!  With all the holidays and days off I thought I wasn't going to see this for at least 3 weeks, but it showed up today about 10 days after I bought it.  Great experience and to top it all off the coin is even better in hand then Joe's photo!

Nero is taking a little bath in distilled water, then he'll get a wax and go into the collection.  Thanks Joe, that was painless and a real pleasure.

Offline Noah

• Caesar
  • Viva Brasil! Pátria Amada!!
« Reply #105 on: December 31, 2008, 08:25:37 pm »
Ignasi, I wouldn't change a thing on that beauty!  You have definitely acquired a wonderful coin that is coveted by many of us.  The emperor is rare and the detail is fantastic.  Congrats!

Best, Noah

Offline Ardatirion

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Veni, vidi, vomui.
« Reply #106 on: February 03, 2009, 12:39:30 pm »
I really need to thank Joe for this coin, I never thought I'd own one.

AE Roman Tessera, 1st cent. AD
4.245g, 21.2mm
laureate bead of Augustus r., FEL below
V in dotted circle surrounded by wreath
cf Buttrey 2 (no FEL), 5 (not listed with V)

romeo

« Reply #107 on: February 03, 2009, 01:40:28 pm »
nice one for getting that coin! ive never managed to get a tessera for my collection, yet anyhow. i love the striking simplicity of these. great coin, love it, well done!

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #108 on: February 13, 2009, 07:49:28 pm »
One of my last acquisitions:

Galatia, Tavum, Nero, AD 54-68
AE 27, 13.14g
obv. [NER]WNOC - [CE]BACTOV
        Head laureate, r.
rev. [POP]PAIAC - CEB[ACTHC]
       Bust of Poppaea, draped, r.; hair in a braid in the neck, opulent curls above the forehead
ref. RPC 3562; SNG von Aulock 6117; SNG France 2400
about VF

Nero married Sabina Poppaea in AD 62 after divorcing Octavia (corr.). In 65 he kicked her - being pregnant - in the belly and killed her to marry Messalina. Though Sabina Poppaea was a wife without any morality - some of Nero's bloody crimes have Poppaea as instigator - she was famous for her beauty. I think on this coin an idea of this beauty can be imagined.

Best regards

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #109 on: February 14, 2009, 07:00:18 am »
Nero actually banished and then had killed Octavia in order to marry Poppea. After he had killed Poppea, he married Statilia Messalina (not to be confused with Valeria Messalina, wife of Claudius).

Nice coin though!
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #110 on: March 15, 2009, 06:26:27 pm »
Not a new Forum purchase but and old one that I have been struggling to get a decent image of since I purchased the coin. It is one of those shiny Greek coins that causes me such trouble. I am still not quite happy with the image but it the best I can do at present.

Silver Drachm
Obv:Youth wrestling or restraining bull, both to left.
Rev:– LARI/SAIA, bridled horse galloping right, rein trailing, all in incuse square
Minted in Thessaly, Larissa from c. 440-400 B.C.
Ref:– SNG Cop 110. SGCV I 2111
6.022g, 20.0mm, 270 degrees

Regards,
Martin

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #111 on: March 15, 2009, 06:32:33 pm »
Hey Martin, that's a spectacular picture of a spectacular coin. Very rarely do you see the young man who's struggling hard to be neither injured nor thrown off by the bull in such a detailed and naturalistic manner. And yes, I know how hard it can be to photograph shiny silver coins. I think you can be happy with both the coin and the image.

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #112 on: March 15, 2009, 08:41:37 pm »
I agree.  I think that's the most desirable Larisa coin that I ever saw (an image of).  As for the image, it is great, IMO.  Pat L.

Offline silvernut

• Caesar
« Reply #113 on: April 02, 2009, 05:39:45 pm »
My latest FORVM purchase, which I received just yesterday (again, super-fast shipment!). It might look like a run-of-the-mill Caracalla-as-a-boy denarius, except that it is quite difficult to find. In fact, this is the first specimen I've seen for sale in the last few months. RIC rates it only as scarce, but apparently there were no coins of this type in Reka-Devnia. Its condition is excellent, with full of detail, and, contrary to what usually happens with early Caracalla denarii, it's struck on a wide flan. It is actually even better in hand, with some luster left. I'm very happy with this purchase!

Regards,
Ignasi

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #114 on: April 02, 2009, 06:47:57 pm »
That is a very pretty obverse. Congrats.

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #115 on: April 02, 2009, 07:26:17 pm »
Beautiful details, indeed.

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #116 on: April 02, 2009, 07:47:24 pm »
Yes, a very nice coin, and quite rare with this obv. legend.

Cohen 63 quoted it from a private collection (Asselin); none in Reka Devnia hoard, as the Forvm description pointed out.

Vienna and Budapest have specimens from the same die pair and obv. legend division AV - R.  Another with that division in Oxford ex D.R. Walker Collection, acquired from MZ Köln 404, 1988, 404.

Legend division AVR - ANTON: G. Hirsch 184, 1994, 768, and another specimen (or the same?, I haven't compared) that I acquired from Lanz via eBay late last year.

Another with division A - VR like yours: Spink's Circular, July-Aug. 1989, 3916.

Those all with bust draped; a specimen with draped and cuirassed was sold by AAH on eBay in Sept. 2004.
Curtis Clay

Offline fordicus

• Consul
« Reply #117 on: April 02, 2009, 08:56:07 pm »
I purchased this septimius severus denarius yesterday to accompany the Caracalla issue displayed below it.
 While not rare by any means, I'm quite a fan of the two.

edit for Forvm description - Silver denarius, RIC IV 308, RSC III 791, gVF, Rome mint, 3.293g, 18.8mm, 180o, 201 - 210 A.D.; obverse SEVERVS PIVS AVG, laureate head right; reverse VOTA SVSCEPTA XX, Severus (his pointy beard visible) sacrificing left over a lit tripod altar; excellent centering, nice portrait and good reverse, spots of encrustation (likely easily removed but some collectors prefer them left as is);

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #118 on: April 16, 2009, 01:32:40 pm »
Another recent purchase from Forum.

Silver drachm
Obv:Head of Herakles right, clad in lion-head headdress
Rev:– KALLATIA, grain ear, club and bow case
Minted in Kallatis. 300 – 250 B.C.
Reference:– SNG Cop 176. SNG BM 202
3.532gm, 18.6mm

Graded by Forum as "EF, Light toning, Obverse double-struck". We can clearly see that that reverse was double struck too with the shadow of the grain ear visible in the left field. I don't find the double strike at all distracting from what I think is an overall a quite attractive coin.

Martin

(Click image to see full size..)

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #119 on: April 16, 2009, 03:59:15 pm »
Yes, I looked yearningly at it, too.  Congrats.  Pat L.

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #120 on: August 02, 2009, 05:31:49 pm »
I am one of those persons who can be tempted by the three rows of coins at the bottom of a page.  I had wanted a Rome Fortuna Redux, nicely labeled, and here was one with a nice fatherly portrait of Trajan.  Graded only F (I suppose for want of an ear) but clean as a whistle.  It arrived on Friday, and here it is:
• 31 07 09 Ædupondius 27.2mm, 16.021g axis 6h  Trajan, radiate, draped bust to r.  IMP CAES NER TRAIANO OPTIMO AVG GER DAC P M TR PO COS
Rev., Fortuna Redux, seated l., cornucopiae in her l., holding rudder in her r.  SENATVS POPVLVSQVE ROMANVS and in exergue FORT RED / S C.
RIC p. 290 no. 653.
It came with more info, but this is enough for here.  It is not a problematic coin.  I am very happy with it.
Pat L.
CLICK to see best.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #121 on: August 04, 2009, 03:14:50 pm »
Just won this bad boy from Forum's ebay sales.  I think I got it for a steal, can't wait to get it in hand.  Just had to share!  Thanks again Joe!

"Part of a hoard of nearly 200 Tiberius and Augustus denarii found in India. Imitations, such as this coin, were produced in India, and used for local trade. Some of these imitations appear to have be struck, some cast. This coin was cast."

Offline cliff_marsland

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #122 on: August 08, 2009, 10:32:21 am »
Last week I made my first Forum purchase; a couple of bargain Sestertii.  Even though it puts back my next AV order back temporarily, they were enough of a bargain where I purchased them as soon as I saw them.  Both look better in-hand than the picture.  This was my first Imperial Galba and ensures that I have at least one example of the 12 Caesars.    It is also my first Rome mint Nero Sestertius.  I've had a decent Perinthus mint arch one. but never got around to a Rome one until now.

35105. Orichalcum sestertius, RIC I 264, BMCRE I 156, aF, weight 22.328 g, maximum diameter 36.6 mm, die axis 225o, Rome mint, obverse NERO CLAVD CAESAR AVG GER P M TR P IMP P P, laureate head right; reverse PACE P R TERRA MARIQ PARTA IANVM CLVSIT, left front corner view of the Temple of Janus, the left side with a high window, the front (on the right) with closed doors in an arched entry, decorated with a garland, S - C;

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-45454

35091. Orichalcum sestertius, RIC I 245, BMCRE I 94, F, grainy, weight 20.650 g, maximum diameter 35.1 mm, die axis 180o, Rome mint, c. 9 Jun - Aug 68 A.D.; obverse IMP SER GALBA AVG TR P, Laureate and draped bust right; reverse ROMA in exergue, Roma seated left on cuirass, vertical spear in right, left arm rests on shield set on helmet, S - C across fields; rare;

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-45453

I tried to get the images to hotlink, but couldn't so I had to settle for the urls.

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #123 on: August 08, 2009, 05:58:32 pm »
Congratulations.  Cool-coin types, certainly clean and good.  I love good ghosts.  Pat L.

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #124 on: August 08, 2009, 09:16:30 pm »

I definitely like the Galba Sestertius, seated Roma. Very nice and very clear. Excellent acquisition.

c.rhodes

All coins are guaranteed for eternity