Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Poll

Do you believe that Hannibal Barca is depicted on this coin?

Yes, it's Hannibal with his good eye showing
8 (36.4%)
No, it's Melkart or someone/thing else
4 (18.2%)
Maybe, nobody knows for sure
10 (45.5%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Who Believes In Hannibal Shekels?  (Read 6959 times)

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
Who Believes In Hannibal Shekels?
« on: April 20, 2013, 09:35:04 pm »
In keeping with my "Who Believes" polling series, I present for your consideration possible coinage depicting Hannibal.  Several issues of Carthago Novo and possibly Carthage have depictions of male figures often attributed to Hannibal or his father, Hamilcar.  Below is my coin, but those more familiar with the issues will know there are even more convincing pieces especially ones with elephants on the reverse

So, what say ye? Hannibal or not?

SPAIN, Carthago Nova. Carthaginian occupation. Circa 218-209 BC. AR Shekel (21mm, 7.19 g). Bare male head (Hannibal?) left / Horse right, palm tree behind. Burgos 535

Lloyd Taylor

Re: Who Believes In Hannibal Shekels?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 03:01:13 am »
If not one of the Barcids, then who?

Gods are usually laureate, or bear some attribute of the god in question e.g. the bow and quiver of Artemis over her shoulder, or laureate Melqart with his club over shoulder.  

This portrait is a plain head, bearing none of the attributes of a god. Also it has a constancy of form and style across several denominations of coinage. Therefore, more than likely a Barcid portrait in my view.

Which Barcid? That is another question altogether!

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 11:07:00 pm »
If not one of the Barcids, then who?

Thanks for the post Lloyd.  I was beginning to feel unloved! 

You make good points.   :)

Lloyd Taylor

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 11:24:32 pm »
I now put a bit more love into the discussion by voting  ;D - Hannibal has my vote, even though I not sure which Barcid is portrayed!  

Now ten votes cast, three in favor of Hannibal, although only one comment as to why.  

Come on, step up to the plate guys and some more discussion!

Lloyd Taylor

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 11:36:26 pm »
Let's try and inject a bit more life into the discussion.

Most believe that this portrait on coinage of Carthago Nova is that of the great Scipio Africanus.  Struck ca. 209 BC for a short period, it displaces the portrait of a Barcid/Hannibal/Melqart(?) on the same city's coinage https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-85336

Now if this is a portrait issue of the city showing Scipio Africanus, made in his honor after he captured the city and expelled the Carthaginian overlords, then wouldn't it make sense that the preceding portrait was that of a Barcid rather than a god?

Lloyd Taylor

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 11:05:59 pm »
In ancient times someone thought it a bit more than a random male head, as evidenced by the reverence exhibited by the coin at the top of this thread https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=88154.msg549286#msg549286

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 11:00:14 am »
In ancient times someone thought it a bit more than a random male head, as evidenced by the reverence exhibited by the coin at the top of this thread https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=88154.msg549350;topicseen#msg549350

Lloyd - thank you for the commentary regarding this topic.  I think you make convincing arguments with the Scipio portrait and the coin in post above certainly lends credence to the argument that this was a real person.  I imagine the coin above being worn by someone in Hannibal or Hasdrubal's army.  Did it venture over the Alps with elephants?  Was it worn by someone who participated in Cannae or Lake Trasimene?  Was it as Zama?

Ah, ancients! 

Offline nogoodnicksleft

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 11:20:12 am »
Hannibal or Hannibal Smith  ;)

Lloyd Taylor

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 05:30:04 pm »
Hannibal or Hannibal Smith  ;)

;D ;D  If this were a picture taken two thousand two hundred and thirty years ago I'd definitely say yes!

Unfortunately we can only compare the image on the coin to a contemprary image (sculpture in the case of ancients) of a documented historical figure present in the area where the coin was struck in order to make any meaningful comparison of features and thus infer identity.  As far as I know, there are no known reliably identified sculptures of the Barcids in Spain in 220-209 BC for the prupose of comparison of features on sculture with those on the coin.

With seven billion people on the planet today and probably twice that number having walked the earth previously many facial feature matches to many historic and present personalities are possible. But it is only the ones in the same time and place as the coin that count for meaningful inference.  

Lloyd Taylor

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 06:57:59 am »
A related issue, different Barcid, but clearly a human and a leader, but not a god. How do we know that? The diademed head!

This points the way that the other head must also be a portrait,. The absence of a diadem suggests a lower rank to that portrayed on this coin?

Spain, Carthago Nova
Hispano-Carthaginian coinage. Dishekel circa 237-209, AR 13.41 g. Diademed male head (Hasdrubal ?) l. Rev. Prow of galley r., with two shields on deck; in exergue, sea monster. Burgos 481. Villaronga-Benages 548. Extremely rare. A magnificent portrait of fine Hellenistic style.

Holed for suspension indicating a degree of veneration of the leader portrayed.

Offline MagisterRiggs

• Praetorian
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 06:17:51 pm »
I have to go with MAYBE....but I WANNA believe!

Cary Riggs

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 10:14:04 am »
I'm cleaning out many of my earlier purchases to focus on my current affliction: Roman Imperatorial and Republicans.  This Hannibal shekel is off to the block with about 20 other coins.  So long old friend as you continue on your journey... :'(

4to2CentBCphilia

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 10:59:07 am »
Quote from: carthago on May 29, 2013, 10:14:04 am
I'm cleaning out many of my earlier purchases to focus on my current affliction: Roman Imperatorial and Republicans.  This Hannibal shekel is off to the block with about 20 other coins.  So long old friend as you continue on your journey... :'(

Just looked at your Imperatorial gallery..............good lord man. You're on quite a buying spree. All are very nice and more than several of them are spectacular.

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 02:59:03 pm »

Just looked at your Imperatorial gallery..............good lord man. You're on quite a buying spree. All are very nice and more than several of them are spectacular.

LOL and thank you! 

I figured what good is a college fund for the kids?  They'll appreciate it more if they have to work their way through college and I'll enjoy it more spending it on ancient coins.  Win-Win.  ;D

All coins are guaranteed for eternity