Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Pamphylia, Aspendos fourrée  (Read 531 times)

Offline Mateusz W

• Consul
Pamphylia, Aspendos fourrée
« on: June 11, 2022, 07:39:19 am »
Pamphylia, Aspendos, stater with two wrestlers grappling. ..Struck in the main mint, by the exact die , and probably by the same people that were striking main coins... Any expert can give me more detailed informations here? It's authentication was confirmed by a very knowledgeable person, but this coin is such a mystery to me in terms of its real purpose. Why'd they do it, and can i find some references to other fourrees of this exact mint?

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Pamphylia, Aspendos fourrée
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2022, 12:33:55 pm »
... Struck in the main mint, by the exact die , and probably by the same people that were striking main coins ...
What exactly do you mean with "Struck in the main mint, by the exact die"? That the official mint did produce this coin?
How do you know that? Is there a die coupling to non-plated coins?

... It's authentication was confirmed by a very knowledgeable person ...
What exactly did this person authentify?

Plated coins usually have been produced in ancient times to deceive people and to make a profit, that's all :-\.

At acsearch.info you finde some more fourrées of this type:
https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?term=aspendos+stater+%28fourr%C3%A9e+plated+gef%C3%BCttert%29&category=1&lot=&thesaurus=1&images=1&en=1&de=1&fr=1&it=1&es=1&ot=1&currency=usd&order=1

I do not know any systematic research about these fourrées from Aspendos :-\.

Regards

Altamura

Offline DzikiZdeb

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2022, 03:40:00 am »
Pamphylia, Aspendos, stater with two wrestlers grappling. ..Struck in the main mint
I don't think it was struck. To me, the coin looks like a cast. For example take a look at the thin, flowing letters on the reverse and then compare them with the examples on acsearch. Of course, there is a slight probability that such a cast was made in antiquity, but to prove it, you need hard evidence, e.g. the exact history of the find.

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2022, 11:18:57 am »
... I don't think it was struck. To me, the coin looks like a cast. ...
A cast fourrée? It has quite clear signs of being plated :-\.

Regards

Altamura

Offline DzikiZdeb

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2022, 01:44:46 am »
A cast fourrée? It has quite clear signs of being plated :-\.

I thought silver plating was added after the casting was made. Do you think it is impossible in this case?

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2022, 05:43:55 am »
... I thought silver plating was added after the casting was made. Do you think it is impossible in this case? ...
Yes, I do. In the times of this Aspendos stater plating was done by wrapping some silver foil around a bronze or copper kernel and then striking it.

Regards

Altamura

Offline DzikiZdeb

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2022, 01:30:45 am »
In the times of this Aspendos stater

If you are sure it is not contemporary then I will not deny it.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity