Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Clipped and hammer flattened . El Aspron Trachy.  (Read 812 times)

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
Clipped and hammer flattened . El Aspron Trachy.
« on: May 28, 2022, 01:27:43 pm »
After unsuccesfully bidding on several coins at auction I managed to acquire an unbid on coin, It was a coin I needed for my collection but the fact it had been clipped originally dissuaded me. Now that I have the coin in hand I made the decision it will not be a filler, It is an attractive example and it will be part of my permanent collection.

When doing my research on the coin I ran into an article that delt with why these examples were clipped, the article was written by Robert D Leonard Jr. The article called

https://www.academia.edu/37338322/Andronicus_Comnenuss_Invasion_Money_of_1181_1182

It surmised that Electrum Aspron trachea from the reign of Manuel and John II had been clipped and hammered into shape to roughly half the weight of the normal denomination by Andronicus, to pay an army of mercenary's under the pretense of saving Alexius II the young ruler of the Empire from his mis deeding guardians. Andronicus successfully does take the city and becomes his new guardian. So these clipped coins were technically issued by Alexius II, even though my example type is not noted it could have easily fit into the equation.

This article is an interesting theory and if true would make these clipped coins the only known coins of Alexius II.

Here is my new addition to my collection.

Manuel I, Comnenus (1143-1180), electrum aspron trachy, Thessalonica, Virgin enthroned facing, holding before her, nimbate head of the infant Christ facing, rev., Manuel and St. Demetrius standing facing, holding labarum between them; 1.89g (DO 9.5; S. 1974), four minor flan cracks, very fine Ex European Ambassador Collection, formed in the 1950s and 1960s.

I should note my coin is 29.4mm, not much smaller than the normal issues. 31-34mm  but it is half the normal weight at 4-4.5
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Re: Clipped and hammer flattened . El Aspron Trachy.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2022, 05:32:12 pm »
Very interesting and, I think, an attractive coin.

Virgil

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Clipped and hammer flattened . El Aspron Trachy.
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2022, 10:40:28 pm »
I used to have one of these -- one of the first "gold" Byzantine coins I purchased.  I recall that it was amazing how thin they pounded the electrum to stretch out the diameter to approximate the original dimensions.  These coins certainly had an interesting history.  Thanks for the article. 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity