Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: My new storage solution  (Read 2597 times)

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
My new storage solution
« on: October 23, 2019, 03:40:52 pm »
I was never quite happy with storing my large and heavy new styles directly into felt lined trays. Some needed a bit of persuasion too. After a time the trays became bent and damaged with approx 300 g of unruly silvers per tray.

So I embarked on finding a solution and the 2 x 2 inch Quadrum capsule system seemed to be perfect. Sadly no.

This lovely looking solution is only meant for modern rather thin regular coins not unruly thick ancients. I did ask the manufacturers if they aren't missing a market but deigned to ignore my enquiries.

The storage carrying cases for the Quadrum capsules though are nice.

Then I won a coin from Roma Numismatics and my coin arrived in stylish 3 D style display capsule.

I looked on the bay for the Roma solution which was externally the same size as the Quadrum capsules but can take the thickness of the ancients. I couldn't find any!

Roma kindly supplied me with their specially made 3 D coin holders and this is the solution and it looks great. Some of my large flan New Styles only just fit in but just is good enough.

The Quadrum carry case can normally take 90 2X2's but due to the extra thickness of the 3 D displays I am restricted to 4 trays- 60 coins-just enough with another 4 poked down the sides-enough for my New style collection and my few others.

I am rather pleased with it and can't wait to get the rest of my collection from safe storage to fill the case, but these 3 examples will show how good they look.

I am well pleased.

Regards

John
Timeo Danaos afferentem coronas

Offline Anaximander

• Caesar
Re: My new storage solution
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 02:27:21 pm »
Wow, cicerokid, this is really eye-opening. I’ve not seen any setup like this before, and it’s very impressive.

Can’t say I’m at all familiar with Quadrum, having always followed the path of least resistance (2x2 flips in cardboard boxes), even for a dekadrachm. :-\ Slabbing ancients does not pass muster with me, but resealable 2x2s are another matter altogether.

And then there’s the attache case. You’re portable in ways that the wood cases could never be. Now that’s what I call style and security.

Now if only Roma Numismatics would commercialize their holder, we could all be styling like you...

Anaximander

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2019, 07:37:44 am »
Thanks Anaximander,

Roma will supply.

I think the dimensions of a Dekadrachm could be problematical. I have a Ptolemy III drachm 40 mm and 72 gm which I use as a paperweight!

The largest new style is 36 mm and just fits!

Regards and your collection is truly tremendous!

Regards

John

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2019, 10:48:25 am »
My collection in my New Storage top shelf

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 10:49:32 am »
All my coins display

Offline Viriathus

• Praetorian
  • Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.
    • Carlos V Photography
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2020, 01:23:52 pm »
This is an incredible setup! I've been trying to find a good and secure way to store my coins and this is certainly the best way I've seen.
I've read somewhere that some types of plastic are harmful to coins, do you happen to know what kind of plastic the display screen is made of?

All coins are guaranteed for eternity