Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: 2 Dirham Islamic Weight with Inscription from Caesarea Maritima  (Read 293 times)

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Hi, all.  This is another inscribed 2 dirham weight.  The Arabic (Kufic?) script is well preserved but I think it may have been double strike, so it is hard to decipher, and looks very different depending on the direction of view.  One likely possibility is  عمرا ن  ‘IMRAN, a personal name found on many weights from this area whose meaning in this context is unknown.  I have included the two best photos I could get of the obverse showing the clearest views of the script, so if anyone has a different idea I would be grateful.  Thanks, again.  Jimi

BCC BW48
Islamic Bronze Weight
Caesarea Maritima  2 Dirham
7th-12th Century CE
Obv: Uncertain Arabic inscription stamped in relief in a circular
punch with multiple strikes.  A possible reading may be  عمرا ن  ‘IMRAN,
a personal name found on many weights of various standards and
denominations across this region.  Rev: Blank.  Roughly rectangular
brick-shaped slab, cut from a thick sheet of metal or cast in the form
of two truncated four-sided pyramids, set base to base.  File-adjustment
and/or finishing marks visible on the edges.
AE 11.25 x 9.25 x 7.25mm.  Wt: 5.82gm. 
see: Holland, W.W.O.C.M., ch.8; and Holland, "ANSMN 31 (1986)" #365ff.
Surface find Caesarea Maritima, 1970  (click for larger pic)

my weight gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=lastup&cat=-5252

Offline Serendipity

• Consul
    • My Gallery
Re: 2 Dirham Islamic Weight with Inscription from Caesarea Maritima
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2023, 06:11:23 pm »
Weights are among the more common objects of pre-modern societies and were essential for measuring quantities of many commodities and for evaluating coins. I’m familiar with countermarks on coins. I’m speculating that the weights were countermarked with the stylised name of a reputable trader in the area to reduce the use of false weights by other traders. The Arabic or Kufic name would perhaps have been stylised like a modern-day signature to prevent forgery.

bakkar

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2023, 04:48:37 pm »
Now it is clear from this corner. It is certainly a personal name من جعفر  "from Ja'far" .
H.Bakkar

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2023, 05:33:13 pm »
Thank you, Bakkar!  It always feels so great when a mystery is solved.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity