Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Opinions Needed - Alexander Jannaeus Judaean Prutah - Real or Not?  (Read 396 times)

Offline Billy C

• Legionary
Hello again everyone,

I'm new to the world of collecting ancient coins and I could really use your opinions on the genuineness of a coin.

I'm considering purchasing a Judaean Alexander Jannaeus Prutah, the "Widow's Mite", of course (pictures attached).  I'm having trouble making up my mind if this is an unusually well-struck coin of this type or if it less than genuine.  I would appreciate anyone's input of what looks right about this coin and what might look "off", if anything.

I appreciate everyone's time and help.

Best regards,

Billy

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
Re: Opinions Needed - Alexander Jannaeus Judaean Prutah - Real or Not?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2023, 01:58:19 pm »
As a rule, vetting of potential purchases for authenticity is not allowed on FORVM, nor is discussion regarding price

Coins purchased from FORVM are guaranteed to be authentic for life, and right now I believe there a decent number of early Judaean coins available for purchase on here.

But that being said, I see nothing that would lead me to question the coin.

Craig

Offline Billy C

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2023, 05:49:51 pm »
As a rule, vetting of potential purchases for authenticity is not allowed on FORVM, nor is discussion regarding price

Coins purchased from FORVM are guaranteed to be authentic for life, and right now I believe there a decent number of early Judaean coins available for purchase on here.

But that being said, I see nothing that would lead me to question the coin.

Craig,

Thank you for the reply and your opinion.  It was very helpful.

And I sincerely apologize for breaking the no-vetting questions before a purchase rule here on FORVM.  I wasn't aware of that and I appreciate you letting me know.  It was a rookie mistake.

Best regards,

Billy

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2023, 11:05:57 pm »
Know the coin or know the seller. If you do not know a coin is authentic using your own knowledge, buy from a seller that is reputable and has the expertise to authenticate it for you. This is the most fundamental advice for ancient coin collectors.

I will never buy a coin if I am uncertain of the authenticity, unless it is coming from a dealer with expertise that I trust AND they offer a guarantee without time limit.  And I have been a dealer since 1997.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity