Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Bronze icon  (Read 2318 times)

Offline cot b

• Caesar
  • Cot Bajun
Bronze icon
« on: April 21, 2009, 12:56:22 pm »
 Help to with ID of these small icon. Can it be Byzantine?

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Re: Bronze icon
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 04:56:05 pm »
Certainly Greek Orthodox, looks like a tiny souvenir of a particular icon, possibly a pilgrimage souvenir (like going to Guadalupe or Lourdes and coming home with a medal).  2 cm is not very big, after all.  Might have had gold leaf on it, or the like.  Pat L.
Like the Hodigitria at Krasiv on this page: http://www.christusrex.org/www1/lviv/Gallery/Room3.html#10

Offline cot b

• Caesar
  • Cot Bajun
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 01:22:15 pm »
 Thank you for ID,but how old can it be. As for me -it is 12-13 A.D.  ::)

Offline wandigeaux (1940 - 2010)

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 04:26:29 pm »
It could hardly be that old! I have several of this kind of thing purchased from a flea market in Moscow near the University in 1997; I had always assumed that they were 19th century (if not manufactured the week before).  If anybody can explain the exact use of these (a pilgrimage souvenir or portable devotional image for travellers, etc.) please chime in!  Here is one I like (again, a  horrible scan).  George Spradling
Hwaet!
"The pump don't work 'cuz the Vandals took the handle" - St. Augustine
GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!!
(1940 - 2010)

Offline cot b

• Caesar
  • Cot Bajun
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 12:05:37 pm »
 Thats all good,but my one was found on place of ancient slavic willarge,and all other things which where found there,are from the period of 11-13 years A.D. 8)

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 04:33:05 pm »
I believe you, of course.  This class of object is so hard to date by style, style not being its raison d'ĂȘtre, that it serves as an excellent example of the importance of archaeological context, to show how wide the range of actual dates might be.  Pat L.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity