Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: flan cracks  (Read 856 times)

dscannon

flan cracks
« on: December 13, 2014, 05:43:23 pm »
I was just wondering if someone might comment on whether flan cracks radically change the desirability and value of ancient coins. I realize that much would depend upon the size and location of the crack on the flan, but some general guidelines would be greatly appreciated--Dave 

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
Re: flan cracks
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 06:56:43 pm »
"I realize that much would depend upon the size and location of the crack on the flan"

You said it all. there is nothing more to add....except, obviously, NO flan crack is better.
PeteB

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
Re: flan cracks
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 08:04:24 pm »
I certainly agree with PeteB's thought on no crack being better but I also believe that we have to apply a little common sense on such matters before deciding just how much to discount a coin because of any fault - cracks included.  Some coin types are easily available by the fistful in perfect condition so one with a crack would sell for quite a bit less.  On the other hand if a coin is one that people seek for decade and feel lucky to find any example, a minor crack would mean absolutely nothing to a throng of willing buyers.  Some coins were made carefully with round flans while others were struck quickly and carelessly so any coin lacking a fault like a crack might even be suspect of being a fake.  Coins struck hard are more likely to be cracked than those hit softly but which would be better: a sharp and detailed strike with crack or soft, partly flat strike on a smooth edged flan?  Your question can not be answered with concrete guidelines.  Some buyers will avoid a cracked coin at any cost while others don't care in the least.  The price realized depends on which group of buyers shows up at any given sale.  Rarely do we see two coins being sold side by side with no difference save one being cracked so it will be hard to prove which factors played major roles and which were hardly worth noting.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity