Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Decorum and Courtesy  (Read 7271 times)

Offline Lucas H

• Caesar
    • My Gallery
Decorum and Courtesy
« on: August 20, 2011, 12:29:15 pm »
I've recently had private correspondence with a newer Forum member who feels intimidated to ask questions because of the way in which some of his or her basic questions are answered with ridicule.  

Everyone starts somewhere.  I'm no expert, and I've asked some dumb questions.  But, you know what, now I know the answer.  I don't want anyone to be ridiculed to the point they do not feel comfortable asking appropriate questions on appropriate boards.  What may be basic to me, my not be so basic to Mr. McCabe, or Joe, or any number of other experienced collectors and experts.  

That's the beauty of this Forum.  It brings together novices with experienced collectors to enhance everyone's enjoyment of collecting.  Please keep this in mind when you see what may be a simple question, or a question with a simple answer.  

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Decorum and Courtesy
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 02:30:00 pm »
The number one rule of this board is be nice.  I think it is followed for the most part.  

When you respond to someone's first post or even first few posts, welcome them to the discussion.  If they say they are a new collector, welcome them to the hobby.

Please do not correct people who break the rules in their very first post. We can get them on the right path a little later.  

Sarcasm and jokes don't always go over well in print.  Don't post sarcastic responses or jokes to new members or new collectors.  Our regulars know you and probably will get it, so save it for them.    

Calling a fake a "tourist fake" or "obvious" can be seen as insulting.  Please consider that when posting.  A fake may be obvious to you, but it probably isn't obvious to a new collector.

If you suspect a troll, inform a moderator rather than making an accusation on the boards.

If anyone else has suggestions on how we can make new collectors more comfortable, please share.    

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Hugh A. P

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 06:17:20 am »
I've been collecting for about 10 years and still consider myself as a newbie.  I have amassed a pretty good collection over this time.  I buy from three sources with Forum being the one I have bought from the most.  I, like Joe was in the Navy so I feel somewhat of a connection and have called and asked his advice a number of times and he has always been AWESOME!!  I have seen though on these boards some really condescending comments toward those who are just getting into the hobby.  Why in the he## would someone be a jack a$$ and be rude?  Help the new collector out.  The fact that not only the U.S, but also many Middle Eastern Countries and European countries are cracking down hard on the hobby we all need to stick together and encourage those who are new.  Don't be that guy!!!!  Some of you have been collecting for decades and can tell the difference between a tooled coin, a fake coin and so on.  I am at the point that I can see these but I still am not sure.  Help each other out!!!!!  Everyone started with that first coin that the bought.  Remember that!!!!!   

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 09:03:09 am »
When you see a rude post, please report it to the moderator. We can delete the rude post and/or remind the member to be nicer.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Eric C2

• Legionary
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2019, 07:11:15 pm »
Well, I guess I am one of those new guys to ancient coin collecting.

I promise to be nice to everyone, both now and in the future.

Thanks for this great forum.
If you can't hold it, you don't own it.

Offline JBF

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2019, 10:46:10 pm »
I like the word "replica," a replica could be a museum quality electrotype, or it could be a cast tourist fake or fantasy.  The word is vague enough to include a range.

I think nice, is nice, but with the caveat that even though it may be disappointing, it is not nice to allow someone to think that a "replica" is an authentic coin.  One might think that is "obvious"  ::) but I thought that it might be said.  I am amazed at how some people are able to identify such a great variety of coins, I think they and forum are a real plus for people who are coming in somewhat ignorant.  btw, ignorance is curable.

I like looking at posts of new individuals, even though I don't have the encyclopedic knowledge of some.  It might be worthwhile to have someone welcome them, even if they say that they can't help the individual with the specific new coin.  A friendly hello, will go a long way to setting the stage for a friendly enounter in general.

Kind Regards
JBF

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2019, 06:45:44 am »
About “dumb” question : do not forget what they say in China : if you ask a question it makes you look stupid for 5 minutes – but if you don't ask – you stay stupid for fifty years.
DT

Offline JamesC11

• Praetorian
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2020, 04:00:40 pm »
And foreign language messages or responses--even jocular remarks-- on the English language page don't necessarily reflect decorum or courtesy either.

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2021, 12:30:51 am »
I have never experienced this so-called rudeness and I am a newbie. I have seen nothing but kindness. I have a pretty thick skin, if I ask a stupid question I want to know I did. Just going to say this, I think "tourist fake" is a super useful term. It differentiates between serious forgeries and replicas. Something sold as a real coin is not a replica. I think my first post here was about a coin I bought in Ghazni, Afghanistan, while deployed there in 2011. The person responding didn't say "tourist fake," but it was oblivious that is what I had bought. They did say it was a very obvious modern cast. Pretty much the same thing. I wasn't offended, I suspected it was fake when I bought it. I guess I could have been offended by what they said, but I wasn't. I was happy to know it was a fake. Even though Afghanistan isn't a tourist haven, soldiers there are essentially just that in many ways. Tourist fake has a distinct meaning to me and I appreciate its use. Just my two denari.

Virgil

Offline wileyc

• Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2021, 11:35:22 pm »
I can certainly sympathize as to not wanting to have rude replies, I think for me text and email can be challanging to transmit humor and sympathy. Sometimes I will look at a simple reply I gave and I can go back and look at it and it can appear curt and brisk, which it was not meant to be.

If I text a reply its because I like to reply and I find it rewarding to discuss some of these topics. Its great that you mentioned this as it helps me be more mindful of how things appear. Tell your friend welcome!!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity