Numism > Reading For the Advanced Ancient Coin Collector

Marcus Antonius Legionary denarii

(1/23) > >>

Lucas H:
Is there a web resource where I can learn more about Antony's Legionary denarii?  How many legions did he command or mint coins for?  Are some more desirable than others based on the history of the legion?  I'm in negotiations to buy a denarius of the Fourth legion.  Any interesting history about that legion?

Bud Stewart:
David Sear states that twenty-three legions (LEG PR1 to LEG XXIII) were honored on Antony's Denarii.  The Praetorian Chorts & "Cohort of Speculatores" were also honored.  According to Sear LEG PRI is a "great rarity".  Source Roman Coins and Their Values – The Millennium Edition – Volume One – Page 284.

Andrew McCabe:

--- Quote from: Lucas H on April 04, 2011, 05:07:25 pm ---Is there a web resource where I can learn more about Antony's Legionary denarii?  How many legions did he command or mint coins for?  Are some more desirable than others based on the history of the legion?  I'm in negotiations to buy a denarius of the Fourth legion.  Any interesting history about that legion?

--- End quote ---

Here is some information on late Republican Legions

Wikipedia Late Republican Legions

Each legion in turn has its own home page. So you can look up your legion. Here is Legion Four:

Wikipedia Legio IV Scythica

Legio IV Scythica was levied by Mark Antony around 42 BC, for his campaign against the Parthian Empire, hence its other cognomen, Parthica. The legion was still active in Syria in the early 5th century. The legion's symbol was a capricorn. In its first years, the whereabouts of IV Scythica are uncertain, although it is probable that it took part in Antony's campaign against the Parthians. The name suggests that it fought against the Scythians. After the battle of Actium and Antony's suicide, Octavian transferred IIII Scythica to the Danube province of Moesia. The legion is reported to have taken part in civilian tasks, such as the building and keeping of roads. In his youth, future emperor Vespasian served in this legion.

As to rarity / commonness of the coins, the best guide is Roman Silver Coins prices, which distill the wisdom of thousands of numismatists over the ages. All the varieties can be regarded as COMMON with the following EXCEPTIONS

LEG PRI extremely rare, may not be genuine
LEG IIX extremely rare (missing from my collection)
LEG VIIII scarce
LEG XII ANTIQVAE common but much sought after
LEG XIIII scarce
LEG XVII CLASSICAE common but much sought after
LEG XVIII scarce
LEG XVIII LYBICAE scarce
LEG XVIIII very rare (missing from my collection)
LEG XXIII scarce and much sought after

The Praetorian Cohorts and the Speculatores types are a little scarce.

Most people know that XXIII is a tough legion to get. It is less well known that XVIIII (long form of 19) is genuinely rare. XIX is of course common.

My legionaries are here:

https://tinyurl.com/ryz5tlp

And pictured in the screen-shot below (apologies for the poor quality, it is literally a screen shot - I will make up a better version in time).

A nice post of some decent legionaries can also be found here:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=8078.0

Bud Stewart:
Andrew, thanks for the information and the URL’s. 

I acquired my first Antony Denarius just last week (Leg XIII)

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-65855

and your information makes my new specimen even more enjoyable.

curtislclay:
Specimen counts from large hoards are usually very good indices of relative rarity.

For Antony's legionary denarii, the following quantities were contained in the Delos Hoard of 1905, according to Revue Num. 2003:

CHOR PRAET 6
XII ANTIQVAE 5
XVII CLASSICAE 8
XVIII LYBICAE 4
CHOR SPECVL 9
PRI None
II 40
III 25
IIII None
IV 28
V 37
VI 36
VII 27
VIII 27
IIX not in Crawford, none in hoard. Andrew, how do we know of this piece?
VIIII 15
IX 20
XI 24
XII 28
XIII 20
XIIII 6
XIV 12
XV 39
XVI 24
XVII 22
XVIII 6
XVIIII None
XIX 16
XX 13
XXI 23
XXII 15
XXIII 24

So the real rarities are PRI, IIII (Andrew, why not in your list?), IIX, and XVIIII.

Scarce are the two Cohort pieces and all with epithets, plus XIIII and XVIII. Andrew says some of these are common, but that impression is probably merely created by the fact that they are particularly sought after and sell for a premium, so preferentially make their way into collections and are offered by dealers.

Commonest are apparently II, V, VI, and XV. VI was the one Marcus and Verus chose to restore during their joint reign, doubtless in connection with a withdrawal and recoining operation. Probably that was the reason, its commonness, rather than any particular merit or imperial preference for that legion.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version