Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Moving from Early Modern to Ancient Rome  (Read 1616 times)

Offline Bud Stewart

• Caesar
Moving from Early Modern to Ancient Rome
« on: January 24, 2010, 09:34:30 am »
Hello everyone.  I've been lurking for a little while, but I think it's about time to introduce myself.  I am new to ancients, and I am very excited.  I have been collecting Early Modern (16th & 17th Century) European Silver for over 15-years, but recently have become fascinated with Roman Imperial.  I want to focus of denarrii, but my collecting will have to wait a bit, I lost my job this past Monday.

Offline Vitruvius

• Consul
  • Learn from the past to build our future.
Re: Moving from Early Modern to Ancient Rome
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 09:43:11 am »
Welcome, Anthony S2!

You'll find this forum to be a great place to discover ancient numismatics along with meeting good, quality people.

I wish you luck in finding new employment.  Have no fear, many Roman Imperial coins can be found at great bargain prices.  My first Roman Imperial denarius was purchased right here for $5 and was easily attributed.

Enjoy your journey.

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 10:12:51 am »
Hello and welcome to our community!

Your priority probably will be finding a new job.
But as Vitruvius mentioned careful collecting ancient coins does not mean wasting lots of money.
It may be changing and saving money to more stable value than certain shares are today.

regards

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 11:21:46 am »
Welcome Bud! While I still ahve a job, due to the economy (and the "gentle reminders" given to me by my wife  ;) )my buying has been down to a minimum lately....but that is OK. I have found that I have more time to actually learn about the coins I do have and on top of that, it is cool to cruise through the catalogs and simply "window shop". I learn tons that way. I may be wierd that way, I guess, but the purpose of my collection is knowledge and not the attempt to find the prettiest FDC coin out there. Cruise through my gallery and see what I mean.

If denarii is what truly ends up in your collecting crosshairs, I would suggest Severan era coinage as it is abundent, relativly cheap (usually around $30-40 for decent examples) and has a vast array of reverses.

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 11:33:13 am »
Welcome on boards Bud

I sincerely hope you find a new job very quick, so you might indulge yourself with fascinating pieces of metal  :)

Regards
Potator

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 01:23:11 pm »
welcome to the forum :) , at the moment I'm looking for one as well, know how it is looking for a job and wish you the best.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 02:00:03 pm »
My collecting's down to nothing at the moment as well, but my day will come again! So will yours.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Aarmale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 03:04:45 pm »
Welcome!
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

Offline Bud Stewart

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 05:48:43 pm »
I'm feeling at home already.  Thanks everyone.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity