Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A different monogram  (Read 1488 times)

batman77

A different monogram
« on: September 09, 2009, 08:06:20 am »
 Hello. I have this seal and it has a interesting monogram. I can not find similer example. I searched books and monogram titles in this forum. Can you read this monogram? Thank you

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: A different monogram
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 06:26:37 pm »
That is a monogram for Johannes in the genetive case - IWANNOV - (seal of) Johannes. It is rather artfully designed with the alpha and omega at the bottom.
Regards
Gert

batman77

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 03:35:02 am »
Dear Gert, Thank you for your responce. Have you seen any similer example?

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 04:29:29 am »
No, I haven't. Zacos' Byzantine Lead Seals (volume I) lists 41 different Johannes-monograms, but yours is not there.
Regards
Gert

All coins are guaranteed for eternity