Ancient Coin Discussions In Other Languages > Deutsches numismatisches Diskussionsforum

English translations of german numismatic words

(1/2) > >>

esnible:
Can anyone tell me what the word "nimbusartigem" means?  The sentence is "c) Mit eingesetztem Pferdefuß.  Der Revers is fast wie Abb. 122, Reiterkörper mit Achselkugeln und nimbusartigem Helmschweif, Pferd mit eingesetztem Hinterbein, dickem Kopf und Kugel unter der Schwanzwurzel."

(If there is a better place to ask English to German translations questions let me know; I couldn't think of anywhere to ask).

I was able to translate the rest of the sentence using Google, and guessing on a few words.

"c) Incuse reverse.  The reverse is almost like figure 122, equestrian body with bullets and auxiliary tail *nimbusartigem* helmet, horse with inserted hind legs, thick head and ball at the tail root."

The coin is similar to this: [dead link removed by ADMIN]

areich:
It just means 'nimbus-like'.
I'm not sure whether bullets is an appropriate translation for Kugel.
Kugel can mean orb, ball or bullet.

Andreas

curtislclay:
"c) Mit eingesetztem Pferdefuß.  Der Revers ist fast wie Abb. 122, Reiterkörper mit Achselkugeln und nimbusartigem Helmschweif, Pferd mit eingesetztem Hinterbein, dickem Kopf und Kugel unter der Schwanzwurzel."

c) With the horse's foot "set in".  The reverse is very similar to Fig. 122, the rider's body has shoulders formed like globes and a nimbuslike crest on the helmet, the horse has its back leg "set in", a thick head, and a globe below the root of the tail.

I don't understand what eingesetzt (twice) means in this description.

areich:
Perhaps it's clearer when looking at the actual coin?
As it is I have no idea either.

Volodya:
Here's a link to a valuable German-English dictionary of numismatic terms:
http://www.muenzen-hardelt.de/dic/diction1.html

Phil Davis

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version