Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Aurelian Exergue ???  (Read 1207 times)

Offline Bamba123

• Caesar
Aurelian Exergue ???
« on: January 10, 2007, 12:19:24 pm »
Have a coin, IMP C AVRELIANVS AVG obv and ORIENSAVG Rev, Sol standing left with hand raised, foot on one of two bound captives.  The problem is the exergue.  It appears to be PXXT, I think this is a coin minted in Ticinum.  But I can find no references (in my limited experience) for this coin.  Any help would be appreciated.
The coin is 21mm, 3.8g
If all the world's a stage, I want to operate the trap door

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1844

Offline Jeremy W

• Caesar
    • My Gallery
Re: Aurelian Exergue ???
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 12:33:40 pm »
I get this using the tables:

IMP C AVRELIANVS AVG   RC   ORIENS AVG   walking left between two captives   raised   holding globe      PXXT   *         Ticinum   151   C

Jeremy

Offline smendes

• Consul
  • ODERINT DVM METVANT
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 07:15:44 pm »
Hi,
Jeremy is right.
Avrelianvs with bust "B"
Mint : Ticinvm, 1st emission, 1st officina ; 274 AD
RIC 151 ; C 153
Smendes

Offline rick fox

• Caesar
  • Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 08:57:44 pm »
These guys are amazing....

Nice coin
Iacta alea est  - 'The die has been cast' (Julius Caesar Jan 10, 49 BC Rubicon River, Italy)

Offline Bamba123

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 10:41:24 pm »
I have to agree with you.  If I haven't said thank you enough to everyone on this board, allow me to do that now.  Thank you!!!  The nice part is you end up with tons of links to sites, I have spent the last hour or so on a site dedicated to Probus that someone turned me onto through this base ( http://probvs.info/probvs/ ) I hope there are more sites like that one, what a treasure trove of information.  To those who helped with this one, again thank you.
If all the world's a stage, I want to operate the trap door

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1844

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 11:48:39 pm »
Yes, with sites like that one, Probus, and this, now you know for real what the internet is for!  Pat L.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity