Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Biblical & Judean Coins Discussion Forum

Learn Ancient Hebrew on ancient coins - Now on NumisWiki

(1/11) > >>

Salem Alshdaifat:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most of the Classical Numismatic Discussion| Board| posts on learning to read ancient Hebrew on coins have been combined, updated and enhanced in a NumisWiki| article. See:

Reading Judean Coins

Below in this thread there are additional examples in that are not in the article, including some Yehud coins. After finishing the article, you might want to go through the posts in this thread to test how much you have learned.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all Judaean coins lovers.
in this section I will put coins from time to time to help identifying the Cornucopia Judaean types
which is consider as very hard to identify for most dealers and collectors, I notice many mistakes in those coins on line, and hope this will be a guide to all those who have hard time to identify these coins.
regards
Salem Alshdaifat

Judah Aristobulus I (Yehudah), 104 - 103 B.C.

Bronze prutah, Hendin 1143 (465), gVF, 2g, 13.0mm, Jerusalem mint,obverse Hebrew inscription, Yehudah the High Priest and the Council of the Jews, surrounded by wreath; reverse double cornucopia adorned with ribbons, pomegranate between horns, an excellent example for scarce coin and Priest.

Please note that ancient Hebrew read from right to left.
See the additional photo.
YHODH (Judah) , KHN (priest) , GDOL (High) , W (and) , HABAR (Council) , H (the) , YHWD (Jews)

ADMIN NOTE:  See Reading Judean Coins on NumisWiki.

Salem Alshdaifat:
Alexander Jannaeus (Yehonatan), 103 - 76 B.C.

Bronze prutah, TJC type Q, Hendin 1144 (474), EF , nice center with full script !!!, 2.6g, 15mm,Jerusalem mint, obverse Hebrew inscription, Yehonatan the High Priest and the Council of the Jews, surrounded by wreath; reverse double cornucopia adorned with ribbons, pomegranate between horns, very rare in this condition and with full script.

the script says
YHONTN   (Yehonatan)
KH           (Priest)
GDOL       (High)
W           (and)
(HH)BR   (Council)
H            (the)
YHWDM   (Jews)

Salem Alshdaifat:
Alexander Jannaeus, 103 -76 B.C.

AE prutah, Hendin 1150 (469), EF with full script between Rays!!!!, 16mm; obverse Star of eight pellets within diadem, ancient Hebrew legend (YHONATHAN H MALEK) = king Alexander; reverse  BASILEWS ALEXANDROU, around anchor.

Salem Alshdaifat:
John Hyrcanus I (Yehohanan), 134 - 104 B.C.
this is one of the finest full script I have ever seen from this type, EX Forum

Bronze prutah, TJC I 62, AJC I group N, Hendin 1133 (456), choice VF+, 2.88g, 13.9mm, 0o, Jerusalem mint, obverse Hebrew inscription, Yehohanan the High Priest and Council of the Jews, surrounded by wreath; reverse double cornucopia adorned with ribbons, pomegranate between horns, AP monogram below left; very rare full script
The ancient Hebrew script says
NN(HUH)WHY     =   Yehohanan
H          =   the
NHK     =    Priest
LDGH   =     high
H         =     the     ( ancient Hebrew mostly use W = and, in this coin mistakinly they used the !!
RB(HUH) =  Consel
H      = the
MYDHY = Jews.

Carolus Magnus:
I hate to say it, but this is one hard language to understand. At least for me. Most of the judean coins I have seen in hand, are pretty hard to make out the letters, let alone translate them. I am really thankfull that Salem is taking the time to do this. In time I may get better at it, but not without the help I have recieved here. Heck, sometimes I have problems with English!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D
                                                         Best Regards, and thanks again Salem

Chuck T

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version