Resources > Fake Coins and Notorious Fake Sellers

This is a fake, can you say why?

(1/5) > >>

maridvnvm:
The following is a coin from a batch that I am about to load on to the Fakes Boards. It is a fake but I thought it would be interesting to solicit comments from people about it and also to see if anyone would have spotted it as a fake and why?
Regards,
Martin

Robert_Brenchley:
There's something about the style which sets off alarm bells, but I can't pinpoint it.

FORVM AUCTIONS:
The style and overall look certainly scream fake. Here goes an interesting issue.  Anyone who can't tell it is fake will rightly ask "why?"   And it is a very hard to answer in detail. It is like an alien coming to earth and looking at 2 different people . I am sure they look the same for it while for us the difference is more than obvious....
Since I do not have the expressing skills to give a good answer, what I can advice is "go search and look at as many other specimens of the same type as you can"  After one sees a few good Aquileia folles he/she should be able to tell the difference.  At least that is how I learned.

Alex

Len Hosking:
I am probably way off, but as a guess, I have only been able to find this coin as a bronze.

(we can safely assume this was a dumb guess, but you have to admit, it looks silver)

I also couldn't find that coin type minted at Aquiliea.........Although I also haven't seen AQS as a listed mint mark, so that may not mean much

Heliodromus:
The thing that jumps out and condemns it IMO is the distinctive bust style which looks like Alexandria vs the supposed mint of Aquileia.

Secondly, on looking it up in the Helvetica spreadsheet, in turns out that the FL VAL obverse legend wasn't used at Aquileia for this issue... although this is more of a confirmation than a reason to condemn it - there are plenty of unlisted obverse legends to be had!

Ben

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version