Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: AE15 - two centaurs?  (Read 264 times)

Offline Connect4

• Caesar
AE15 - two centaurs?
« on: August 09, 2022, 05:45:37 am »
Obv. Helmeted head of Athena right. Rev.  Two centaurs facing opposite directions.  The right hand one looking back.
I’m afraid I may have got the reverse completely wrong!  Once I resolved the image it seemed to fit.
Any ID or pointers would be helpful.
2.6gr 13.6-15.0mm axis 12hr
Thanks

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: AE15 - two centaurs?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2022, 07:48:29 am »
This type normally has a different obverse, Jqnus if I remember correctly.  There are many, many ancient imitations of the type, and this may be one, combining a different obverse.  I'll check to see if Athena is known with the centaurs.  Oh, yes,--from Thessalonika in Macedonia probably.

Offline Connect4

• Caesar
Re: AE15 - two centaurs?
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2022, 02:47:35 am »
Thanks djmacdo, looking at it I guess it could be an ancient imitation.  Very interesting.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity