Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Quinarius-clipped denarius of Trajan, rev. REGNA AD SIGNATA, please help  (Read 720 times)

Offline mdelvalle

• Caesar
  • Mi nombre es Mario
    • My collection on the web
Please, I have been consulted about this piece and I cannot find it in the catalogs that I have.
Doesn't impress me as a fake. Its weight would correspond approximately to that of a quinarius, with 1.65 gr. and it would be minted in silver. According to what they tell me, it has been found on ground in the Middle East.
The legend on the reverse that I think I read is: REGNA AD SIGNATA
On the Obs. I think I read : IMP TRAIANVS AVG GER [                      ]

I know the Aureus with this reverse (BMC 613. RIC 367. CBN 862. Calico 1079. Woytek 564f.)

and the denarius forged by Becker, but they do not match in size or their dies.

Please I ask for your help and I thank you in advance.
Greeting
Mario

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
The reverse seems to me to be totally reengraved.  Only God knows what the original type may have been!

Offline mdelvalle

• Caesar
  • Mi nombre es Mario
Photography without cleaning it, makes me doubt...

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Is that the same coin as in the OP? I am curious how you cleaned it.

Thanks,
Virgil

Offline mdelvalle

• Caesar
  • Mi nombre es Mario
Hi Virgil, the coin is not mine, they passed me the photographs to attribute it and catalog it in a numismatic group. I really don't know how they cleaned it
Regards
Mario

Offline mdelvalle

• Caesar
  • Mi nombre es Mario
I've asked the owner of the piece for the measurements, I'll send you the last photographs he just sent me.

Offline mdelvalle

• Caesar
  • Mi nombre es Mario
Sorry, no more opinion?

Offline DzikiZdeb

• Caesar
Sorry, no more opinion?

For me it's modern fake (reengraved reverse of actual quinarius is very probable). The Imperial Mint in Rome (dealing with silver and gold coins) in the time of Trajan did not use the full "A" with a dash in the middle, but an inverted V (such A you have clearly visible in obverse legend in "AVG"). Besides, all aureuses of this type (your coin must have to come from an aureus die) have "REGNA AD / SIGNATA" legend. I do not know a single copy with the legend "REGNA / AD / SIGNATA".

An additional argument is the high quality of the control of minted coins during Trajan reign - such errors do not happen these days.

Offline mdelvalle

• Caesar
  • Mi nombre es Mario
Your opinion is very logical, I like it.
I have seen aureus with the legend REGNA / .AD / SIGNATA, I upload one of them to the thread.
I like what you think about the A instead of the inverted V. In any case, the re-engraving of the entire reverse seems too laborious to me, if I would think that it has been unfortunately retouched to make it look better. But it seems I will always have the doubt.
I really appreciate your opinions @DzikiZdeb and @dj macdo, you have been very kind.

Regards
Mario

Offline Pete B

• Consul
If the reverse were re-engraved, there would be no die flow...

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
I see no die flow on the reverse.

Offline mdelvalle

• Caesar
  • Mi nombre es Mario
Re: Quinarius-clipped denarius of Trajan, rev. REGNA AD SIGNATA, please help
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2022, 05:39:27 pm »
Thanks Pete B and djmacdo, you are very kind.
Greeting
Mario

All coins are guaranteed for eternity