Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Phalera Forgery?  (Read 656 times)

Offline Kilian O

• Consul
Phalera Forgery?
« on: December 28, 2021, 09:36:08 am »
Good afternoon,

This item was offered to me and the diameter is 5 cm. First thought was that it's probably too good to be true but the reverse shows wear and patina i'd expect. Obviously this can be faked aswell but maybe there's a small chance it's a known type.

???

Offline Kilian O

• Consul
Re: Phalera Forgery?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2021, 09:40:09 am »
Leaning more towards fake myself but a 2nd opinion never hurts  +++

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2021, 12:05:56 pm »
I would be wary of it.

What I don't like:

- the style of the lion - it does not match all the other lion phalera or studs I have seen, in particular the amount of mane under the head is not something one usually sees.

- the knobs/dots on the rim - I have not seen these on other phalera - looks to me like someone was "inspired" by shield bosses, which do have lots of knobs = nail/rivet heads.

- the two holes - hard to tell from a photo but the way they are bevelled from both sides appears quite modern - again that could just be the photo.

And yes, for a potentially valuable item like this patina that looks convincing, at least in photos or without magnification, are relatively easy to make.  Also the more dirt left on a patina like this the more suspicious one has to be.

I couldn't condemn this item as fake from photos, or without a lot more research, but it has too many red flags for me to trust it personally.

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Kilian O

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2021, 01:04:28 pm »
Yes I agree something feels off but I share your thoughts on the points you make!  +++

Offline dwarf

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2021, 01:49:43 pm »
Perhaps something like this - a lion's head door knocker

https://tinyurl.com/yckj79ye

Regards
Klaus

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar