Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Coin cleaning microscope  (Read 939 times)

Offline Nikola L

• Auxiliary
Coin cleaning microscope
« on: November 29, 2021, 07:26:45 am »
Hi, I'm planning to buy stereo microscope for coin cleaning. I'm interested in AmScope SE400-Z 10x and 20x magnification. It has a great working distance and I've seen other use it for soldering. Did anyone use it or does anyone know is it good for coin cleaning?

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Coin cleaning microscope
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 05:33:30 pm »
It should be good.

I use a Konus 5031 with 20x.

If I bought a new one it would be one with a 45 degree angle like the AmScope SE400-Z and not a neck-abusing 90 degree angle like mine.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 10:13:31 pm »
I have a 10x and 20x microscope and I like it. But the magnification is too high at times. I often wish I had bought something that did 5X and I almost never use the 20X. High magnification, for me, makes some things impossible to see, strange as that may seem. Maybe I just don't know how to use it properly.

Virgil

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2021, 04:35:21 pm »
Yes, a 5x to 20x would be ideal.  But I have magnifying-glass stands or a magnifying head-band for the lower end stuff.

I find the 20x is good for the fine scalpel work I want it for.

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2021, 04:47:35 pm »
Yeah, I use a magnifying glass and my wife's sewing ring light magnifier more than the scope. But, the scope can be super helpful at times.

Virgil

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2021, 06:25:34 pm »
Oh, and I highly echo Shawn's comment on a 45 degree angle. Mine is an Amscope 10-20x probably like what you are looking at (not sure model number) and it is a fine scope at a decent price, but the 45 degrees would be so much easier on the neck and general comfort, especially if you are using it for long periods of time. And, I also use mine for soldering at 10X, but for most of the soldering I do, I don't need magnification. For tiny components, it is great.

Virgil

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2021, 07:24:45 pm »
If you want the best, I recommend Vision Engineering. I have a Cobra. They are discontinued but you can find used ones on eBay (not all the time but sometimes).
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity