Resources > Fake Coins and Notorious Fake Sellers

Constantine Antioch GLORIA

<< < (2/5) > >>

Lech Stępniewski:
Yes, I strongly agree. Especially this part of reverse legend which looks like placed on a straight line.

SC:
I am not particularly worried about the heads of the downturned spears.  I have the same phenomenon on many of my GE 2 standards coins: CI at Arelate, CI at Heraclea, CI at Nicomedia, CI at Antioch (RIC-86 off.B), CII at Arelate, CII at Rome, CII at Siscia, CII at Heraclea, CII at Nicomedia, CsII at Siscia, CsII at Heraclea, Cn at Heraclea, Cn at Antioch (RIC-89 off.H), and Delmatius at Siscia.

However, the only nearly-flat top part of the legend I have (in 116 examples) is on a coin of CsII from Thessalonica (RIC-200) which has a different legend break with -AEXER- at the top.

Also, while the face does match fairly closely my 5 CI from Antioch, none of mine have a neckline that “plunges” that much nor a left shoulder that is raised so much. 

Also, all of my 11 GE 2 standards from Antioch (for CI, CII, CsII and Cn) have soldiers who are relatively short and squat compared to other mints.

I still don't see anything to indicate a fake.  Perhaps a (clearly skilled) engraver who did not do much work on this series - only there for a while or otherwise working in precious metal.

Strangely, the combination of tall, almost crowded soldiers and the flat legend at the top make it seem that the central design was engraved prior to the legend and the top part of the legend was forced to be rather flat given space limitations.  My flat-ish legend from Thessalonica has fairly tall soldiers too.

SC

Joe Sermarini:
I believe standards had these features to allow them to be driven into the ground by standing on those prongs and bouncing. The prongs are a common feature on these coins and not at all unusual.

SC:
The standards, in the centre, had side prongs, usually on one side only.  These items on the outside of the soldiers are reversed spears so sometimes show the ends of the spearhead.

SC

Joe Sermarini:
Ah right, I glanced at the image and then somehow described an inaccurate picture in my head.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version