Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: a helper for the lead  (Read 975 times)

Offline NIKSOL

• Consul
a helper for the lead
« on: February 02, 2019, 11:34:20 am »
22.3gram/3.3cm

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
Re: a helper for the lead
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 04:49:29 pm »
I think the rev. is upside down. Check the die axis. Should be 12.00.
Regards
Gert

Offline NIKSOL

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 05:03:13 pm »
Now you can see it and tell me what it is writing

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 04:52:41 am »
Hi Nikos,
Yes, that's the right way up. The obv. has an invocative monogram 'Theotoke boethei'. The reverse continues the invocation TO ΔOVΛO COV (your servant) and then the name of the seal's owner Niketas. The name has the definite article 'ho' before, so: O NHKITA (literally 'the Niketas'). This sounds weird in English, but it is quite common in other languages. Palaeographically the legend is interesting because of the switching of omega for omikron (TO ΔOVΛO) and in the name eta for iota. It is spelled NHKITA, while NIKHTA is the 'correct' spelling. Also, there's a ligature NH, which is quite rare in this period of time (c. 8th century). Note also the quite elegantly engraved 'branches' siding the crosses at the beginning and end of the legend.
Regards
Gert

Offline NIKSOL

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 08:34:48 am »
Thank you very much! you are professional in kind!
it could be the same as that stamp. found in the same place..

All coins are guaranteed for eternity