Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Best organisations to become a member as new collector?  (Read 3233 times)

Offline Basileus Nikephoros Antialcidas

• Consul
  • Nihil tam munitum quod non expugnari pecunia possi
Best organisations to become a member as new collector?
« on: December 26, 2018, 02:17:29 pm »
I don't know if this is the right place to ask about this but if anyone can help me I would appreciate it very much. Which in your opinion is the best organisation I should become a member as a beginner in the field of mainly ancient Roman and Greek coins and a few more modern. I am a young student so I would consider if the membership prices are reonable to become member at more than one. Witch should be the first then second and at last third organisation that I should consider. The organisations that I found are :
Ancient Coin Collectors' Guild
American Numismatic Society
American Numismatic Association
Thank you everyone in advance!
ABSQUE ARGENTO OMNIA VANA

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
Re: Best organisations to become a member as new collector?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 02:41:48 pm »
I would recommend:
1. American Numismatic Society: it is more focused on ancient coins than ANA and it provides an excellent, annual scholarly journal and quarterly magazine as part of the membership price.  Also, if you live near New York City the library is a tremendous resource. They also will send photocopies of library materials, within reason.
2. Local Coin Club:  Find a local coin club near you and join.  It's good to make personal connections with other collectors. 
3. American Numismatic Association: Has more modern coin focus. If ancients are your primary interest, then ANS should be your first join.
4. Ancient Coin Collectors Guild: This is primarily a lobbying group trying to protect the rights of  ancient and historical coin collectors from those (mostly archaeologists and "source" country governments) that challenge the right to collect such material.  While I recommed membership because this fight is important, I put it last because it does not offer cutting-edge reading or research opportunities for a new collector.

Offline OldMoney

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • My Site! www.oldmoney.com.au
    • Walter Holt's Old Money
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 05:29:47 pm »
Quote from: Carausius on December 26, 2018, 02:41:48 pm
4. Ancient Coin Collectors Guild: This is primarily a lobbying group trying to protect the rights of  ancient and historical coin collectors from those (mostly archaeologists and "source" country governments) that challenge the right to collect such material.  While I recommed membership because this fight is important, I put it last because it does not offer cutting-edge reading or research opportunities for a new collector.

... Although, the books written by one of the founders, Wayne G. Sayles, are
an excellent resource for the beginning collector and are highly recommended.

Wayne G. Sayles, Ancient Coin Collecting, Volumes I - VI (author's site):
https://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/wayne_g_sayles_antiquarian-212/ancient-coins/Default.aspx?

- Walter
Coins of Ephesus
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/ephesuscoins
Walter Holt's Old Money - Ancient Coins
https://www.oldmoney.com.au
Sydney, Australia

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 09:40:10 am »
- Royal Numismatic Society https://numismatics.org.uk/
- American Numismatic Society http://numismatics.org/

Absolutely agree.  If you are in the U.S., you're unlikely to attend many meetings; however the highly-important, annual journal The Numismatic Chronical is well-worth the price of membership.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 11:53:09 am »
You have already joined a good and useful organization - The Forum Ancient Coins Discussion Board

Although membership here is free, we do need the support of our members (by that, I mean please shop and buy here).
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity