Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Vot xx mvlt xxx?  (Read 591 times)

Offline ambr0zie

• Consul
Vot xx mvlt xxx?
« on: March 02, 2016, 10:42:59 am »
Good day,

Another coin where I am not sure at all...
Constantius II ?! tried to read the mint mark -  I think I see CONS but this might be wishful thinking

The obverse legend starts with DN CO so this reduces the possibilities.

Ignore the rectangle - made by mistake when I took the photo yesterday.  If needed, I can try to find a better camera ...

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
Re: Vot xx mvlt xxx?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 05:12:46 pm »
Maybe Nikomedia mint, officina 3

[S M] N Γ in the reverse exergue?

By the way: Don´t waste your time on late Romans without clear lettering of Emperor and mint.
There are enough better preserved.

Regards

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline ambr0zie

• Consul
Re: Vot xx mvlt xxx?
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 05:21:06 am »
Thank you for your answers.

Numiswiki was the first place I looked in. Judging after the distribution of the letters on the obverse I am 99% sure it is Constantius II

As for the exergue - that is  hard to read. Arminius distinguished N Γ but I tried looking at it until my eyes started to hurt and I can not say anything for sure.

I will take better photos in a few hours and edit this post.

Later edit: this is the maximum due to light here in the office and not the best camera.

Size of the coin - 13 mm (if this has any relevance)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity