Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Holders  (Read 5985 times)

Offline Archon

• Consul
Holders
« on: May 16, 2015, 10:52:39 pm »
Hi what size paper coin holder do I want for Greek coins up to 19mm

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
Re: Holders
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 12:24:20 am »
I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but the most popular size for flips, envelopes, etc., etc., for holding just about any type of coin  is 2" x 2" (~50 mm x 50 mm).

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 12:30:00 am »
The paper equivalent of this...
Home > Catalog > Books & Supplies > Coin Collecting Supplies > FL39960

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?param=43198q00.jpg&vpar=861&zpg=76099&fld=https://www.forumancientcoins.com/Coins2/

Unfortunately the Forvm store doesn't do 2 X 2 paper envelopes, but I'm sure you get the drift.
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline Archon

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 11:58:40 am »
My question was the hole size because I want to write reference numbers and small fact in it. The hole needs to ft 29mm coins an below but only Ancient Greek ones. Thanks picture below

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 11:52:53 pm »
OK, so obviously you need at least the 30 mm size, but since most ancients are significantly thicker that modern coins, you may need them with an even larger "window", or when you try to seal them (staple  :evil:, or adhesive  :angel:) you may tear the clear membrane. 

Your best bet might be to see if you can pick up a few different sizes and see what works best.

Why not consider 2x2 mylar (PVC free of course!!) flips?  You'll have a whole lot more room to write your information, and you can easily remove the coin should you ever want to. 

The 2x2 paper holders are IMO, one step short of slabbing it because you lose the ability to handle the coin if you wish to.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 05:37:26 am »
I have bought numerous coins in these holders. I always free them immediately. Many require treatment for BD or residue as the coins react to the clear plastic.

Not a good choice in my opinion. Mylar flips with paper tags or placing coins on a tag in t  rays are better options.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 10:20:44 am »
I have bought numerous coins in these holders. I always free them immediately. Many require treatment for BD or residue as the coins react to the clear plastic.

Not a good choice in my opinion. Mylar flips with paper tags or placing coins on a tag in t  rays are better options.

Shawn

Most, if not all cardboard 2x2s today have mylar windows. I've never had any issues with them in over 12 years of collecting.  http://coinsguide.reidgold.com/holders.html

Perhaps in the past (60s and 70s?) the windows were plastic.

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 03:52:26 am »
Not sure they were that old, but yes, all the ones I had problems with felt like PVC type plastic and not mylar.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline dougsmit

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 09:32:04 am »
I dislike these holders to the point that I avoid buying coins in them at shows.  Unlike envelopes and flips, it is not easy to remove the coin for examination.  The obvious issue is edges being hidden when you put a 29mm coin in a 30mm holder.  If the coin is something I am really actively interested in buying (a must have type) I might ask the seller if we can remove it but I may examine a hundred coins at a show and will not be removing all those staples even if it is allowed.  This is less a problem if the 30mm holder is holding a 20mm coin. 

In addition to edges, the tightly stretched plastic makes it harder to examine the surfaces so I have to assume the worst and be willing to pay accordingly.  I have owned coins with scratches from improper handling in the presence of staples.  I know not all these use staples but most I see at shows do. 

What it comes down to is you can store your coins however you wish while they are yours but, if you ever want to sell them,  find a buyer who does not agree with me.   

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 01:12:07 pm »
I agree. These hide scratches very well and the last bunch of coins in holders I bought, were indeed mostly scratched.
Andreas Reich

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 05:15:31 pm »
I use them for long term storage in coin boxes which are stored in my safe deposit box at the bank and have never had any problems either viewing them in the holders (it is clear plastic) or removing them when needed (using a flat head screwdriver pointed away from the coin!). My advice is to use a holder with a window larger than the coin going into it. The coin's edge is perfectly viewable that way.

I can certainly understand how 2x2s are a pain when you are constantly handling your coins - which is why I only use them for long term storage. When my coins are at home with me they are "free range coins".  :)

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 08:10:05 pm »
I dislike these holders to the point that I avoid buying coins in them at shows.  Unlike envelopes and flips, it is not easy to remove the coin for examination.  The obvious issue is edges being hidden when you put a 29mm coin in a 30mm holder.  If the coin is something I am really actively interested in buying (a must have type) I might ask the seller if we can remove it but I may examine a hundred coins at a show and will not be removing all those staples even if it is allowed.  This is less a problem if the 30mm holder is holding a 20mm coin. 

In addition to edges, the tightly stretched plastic makes it harder to examine the surfaces so I have to assume the worst and be willing to pay accordingly.  I have owned coins with scratches from improper handling in the presence of staples.  I know not all these use staples but most I see at shows do. 

What it comes down to is you can store your coins however you wish while they are yours but, if you ever want to sell them,  find a buyer who does not agree with me.   

in addition to all Doug pointed out, i have to say that imo they are also quite tacky looking.

~ Peter

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 08:42:09 pm »

in addition to all Doug pointed out, i have to say that imo they are also quite tacky looking.

~ Peter

I suppose that choosing a preferred storage method is a highly personal thing - like clothing. If 2x2s are considered "tacky", well then, I'm the one on Forvm wearing the Hawaiian shirt and socks with sandals.

Offline Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2015, 09:27:47 pm »

~ Peter

I suppose that choosing a preferred storage method is a highly personal thing - like clothing. If 2x2s are considered "tacky", well then, I'm the one on Forvm wearing the Hawaiian shirt and socks with sandals.

And having them open is trays must mean they are nudists. ;D ;D
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2015, 11:04:42 pm »
Quote from: Mat on May 20, 2015, 09:27:47 pm
And having them open is trays must mean they are nudists. ;D ;D

Here is a recent purchase about to make its journey to the safe deposit box - First "nude" and then "tacky".  ;)

As you can see, there is no problem viewing the coin in the 2x2.

Click

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2015, 07:43:10 pm »
From a recent auction  .... 52 of these mylar and cardboard encased coins in a single lot .... not the most aesthetic presentation in my view, but I guess it makes it easier to sell the collection in one hit. The lot realized a price averaging less than $20/coin ... better presentation might have improved the outcome.
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2015, 08:52:10 am »
From a recent auction  .... 52 of these mylar and cardboard encased coins in a single lot .... not the most aesthetic presentation in my view, but I guess it makes it easier to sell the collection in one hit. The lot realized a price averaging less than $20/coin ... better presentation might have improved the outcome.

It's not very smart to photograph coins in 2x2s, especially if they are for sale. I'm only recommending 2x2s for long term storage in coin boxes. It would be stupid to present coins for sale in them.

Offline Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2015, 09:58:07 am »

It's not very smart to photograph coins in 2x2s, especially if they are for sale. I'm only recommending 2x2s for long term storage in coin boxes. It would be stupid to present coins for sale in them.

Its done pretty often. :-\
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline OldMoney

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • My Site! www.oldmoney.com.au
    • Walter Holt's Old Money
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2015, 11:09:28 am »

It is very difficult to disagree with you David, but as the beneficiary
of that particular lot (from the Seaver collection) and a few other lots,
I can therefore only encourage the practice!

As an aside, the Seaver collection was sold in large lots, but only a
small number of coins were actually imaged - much as shown above.
Additionally, there were a HUGE number of attribution errors made,
apparently by Seaver himself, so that the holders become almost
useless except as artefacts of their recent origin.

Walter
Coins of Ephesus
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/ephesuscoins
Walter Holt's Old Money - Ancient Coins
https://www.oldmoney.com.au
Sydney, Australia

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2015, 07:10:23 pm »
It is very difficult to disagree with you David, but as the beneficiary
of that particular lot (from the Seaver collection) and a few other lots,
I can therefore only encourage the practice!

Touché!

Offline Archon

• Consul
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2015, 01:58:06 pm »
Some toeing them in this box like the. Ones in the second shelf from the top would not damage or scrape if I have to occasionally move them just if they get tilted or something?

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2015, 04:15:36 pm »
Quote from: Archon on June 01, 2015, 01:58:06 pm
Some toeing them in this box like the. Ones in the second shelf from the top would not damage or scrape if I have to occasionally move them just if they get tilted or something?

Honestly, if you are going to store them in trays I wouldn't use any holders, especially if you are going to handle them quite a bit. I only recommend 2x2s for long term storage, in my case they are in a bank safe deposit box.

IMHO, trays are the best way to store coins, it just isn't practical for me.

Offline Archon

• Consul
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2015, 06:12:43 pm »
I would not Hadley t unless it got turned upside down I just don't want it to get scratched or damaged just sitting in the holder.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2015, 10:05:39 pm »
...Additionally, there were a HUGE number of attribution errors made...

I have had some of these lots come my way.  They included some fakes too.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Archon

• Consul
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2015, 03:20:12 pm »
But for Long term storage would they be fine if I may move one coin like onc or twice or could that scratch or damage?

All coins are guaranteed for eternity