Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: The Pharos on coins  (Read 2578 times)

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
The Pharos on coins
« on: April 05, 2004, 01:21:30 am »
I've seen pictures of provincials with the Pharos lighthouse on the reverse and would like to know a little bit more about them.

The coins that I have seen were from the second century (Trajan, Hadrian, ect..) struck in Alexandria. Are there any examples from the first century? If so what denominations are they?

Offline tacrolimus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Why, oh why didn't I take the blue pill?
Re:The Pharos on coins
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2004, 09:53:11 am »
Marvin Tameanko in his "Monumental coins" writes:

"The majority of coins showing the Pharos were struck in Roman Alexandria during AD 81 to 192 by the emperors Domitian, Trajan, Hadrian, Antoninus Pius and Commodus."

Moreover "The Pharos became the prototypical lighthouse in the ancient world and was copied by many cities for their own harbours. These imitations are shown on several coins including those struck in Heraclea Pontica in Bithynia under Gallienus, Aegaean in Cilicia under Trajan Decius, Berytus in Phoenicia under Septimius Severus, Panormus in Sicily under Commodus and Laodicea in Syria around AD 150."

I'm aware of a bronze diobol of Domitian (AD 92-93, Dattari 550) showing Pharos. I don't know if others from first century do exist.

Hope this helps a little.

I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member (Woody Allen paraphrasing Groucho Marx)

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
Re:The Pharos on coins
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2004, 10:37:40 am »
Yes, that helps out a great deal. I wasn't really sure what to look for, now I have some leads. Thanks for looking that up.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: The Pharos on coins
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 06:13:16 pm »
17 years later...David do you have an update for us?  ;D

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2021, 06:19:34 pm »
Stay tuned ...

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2021, 06:25:04 pm »
You bought Marvin's book?  ;D