Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: White Mountain Collection?  (Read 4000 times)

Maffeo

White Mountain Collection?
« on: April 08, 2010, 06:45:22 am »
(I wasn't sure just were to post this, so here goes.)

Does anyone have any info on this White Mountain Collection that seems to be the source of several rather rare Late Romans which have appeared in some recent auctions?

Thanks a lot.

Mike

Offline helcaraxe

• Caesar
    • Coins available
Re: White Mountain Collection?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 06:13:18 pm »
You probably don't talk about this collection;D

http://www.pedigreecomics.com/article.php?article_id=6

Unless there is no coincidental love for both comics and coins (which I know does exist in at least one other famous collector and member of this forum;)

Semper pax
helcaraxe

Offline Johnny

• Conservator Princeps, Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 11:34:03 am »
So the white mountain collection ( coins ) is from a comic book collector ?

ya lost me  LOL

I bought one of the coins from that collection,  so i'm  curious now too  :)

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 10:56:46 pm »
The collector called White Mountain in recent CNG sales is apparently P.A. Zanchi.

Quite a few of the White Mountain coins in CNG 84 are the identical ones cited in recent numismatic catalogues, for example in S. Estiot's Paris catalogue, Aurelian-Florian. In those catalogues the coins are said to derive from the collection of P.A. Zanchi.

Quite a large and nice collection, chock full of interesting rarities in excellent condition!
Curtis Clay

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 12:11:11 pm »
In response to a question I came up with the following information about P.A. Zanchi:

From our customer file: Pierre A. Zanchi, Le Locle, Switzerland; bought an aureus of Diocletian from us in 1998.

Le Locle is on the French border of Switzerland west of Bern, about 100 miles north of Mount Blanc. That's "White Mountain" in French, so maybe the source of CNG's code name?

Otherwise I had never heard of Zanchi until I followed up the references given in CNG 84 to coins of his cited in the Paris catalogue, etc.

So I know nothing about the provenance of his coins apart from what is given by CNG or by the other catalogues cited.

In general, apparently he was purchasing at auctions at least from the early 1970s on, and I find in CNG's Roman imperial bibliography that he wrote an article in 1980 on unpublished Serdican antoniniani, P. Zanchi, Quelques nouveaux antoniniens de Serdica, SM 120 (November 1980).

Curtis Clay

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 01:30:30 pm »
From a Google search:

Zanchi was CEO of Huguenin Brothers & Co. S. A., Le Locle, a manufacturer of commemorative and prize medals.

"In 1987 the company changed hands with the then CEO, Pierre-André
Zanchi buying back the majority of shares.

"In 1999 a first merger took place with Kramer headquartered in Neuchatel.
In 2002 Huguenin + Kramer joined with Faude, giving birth to the current
company Faude & Huguenin SA."

In 2003 he was characterized as being the FORMER owner of the company and was thanked for being instrumental in the transferral of the firm's collection of 20th cent. medals to a Swiss museum (Neuchatel?).
Curtis Clay

Offline Johnny

• Conservator Princeps, Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 09:19:46 am »
Thanks Curtis

much appreciated

Maffeo

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 02:20:55 pm »
Thanks a lot for the information. It had me quite puzzled.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity