Numism > Help For the New Ancient Coin Collector

Buy the Book Before the Coin/Book Recommendations for the Beginner

<< < (8/8)

SC:
The book is out of print.  I don't think it has been re-issued in any form.  And sadly yes, numismatic books are expensive and so high prices are not unusual.

Shawn

Enodia:

--- Quote from: Adriaan v on January 06, 2017, 11:53:32 am ---I got "Roman Bronze Coins: From Paganism to Christianity by Victor Failmezger" as a reading suggestion.
--- End quote ---

$100 on Amazon.

~ Peter

Adriaan v:
Thank you for your help! However, none of the Amazon sellers will ship to the Netherlands... Does somebody want to sell me their copy ? Could not find it in the FORVM shop either.

Thank you!

Eric C2:

--- Quote from: S3VERVS on February 22, 2011, 07:28:12 am ---The book I'd recommemd for the beginner is Christopher Howgego's Ancient History from Coins. Price is ca. 20 USD.

--- End quote ---

Funny that someone should mention Howgego!

I am just in the very early stages of this area of the overall coin-collecting hobby, and this was the first book I read --- not because it came highly recommended, but because it was one of the few such books available in our local library branch.

A word of caution though to those who haven't read it yet ... it is a serious academic writing, using heavy academic language. I found it a bit of a difficult read at first (although I have gone to graduate school). It seemed like I was walking through a field of mud, up to my knees.

But I did learn a lot from it, and would certainly recommend it.

Robert B14:

--- Quote from: areich on February 21, 2011, 02:30:37 pm ---This statement is not to be taken literally and even more loosely defined I don't necessarily agree with it. Especially as a new collector you don't need any coin books immediately. Some general history books would be much more useful. There is much basic and some advanced information to be found here, try the resources and numiswiki links above. There are lots of free books, though most are older to be found here:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=Library%20of%20Ancient%20Coinage

Once you have found that you have an interest in a particular field, go ahead and buy some books but especially in the beginning this can change quickly.

--- End quote ---

Thanks!  Wonderful background info. And FREE. 😁

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version