Resources > Ancient and Medieval Coin Identification Help

Unknown Provincial, Medusa? reverse

(1/2) > >>

areich:
Hi all!
I cannot identify this coin, I think it might be a medusa on the reverse, but couldn't find this reverse.

It's AE18ish.

Thanks!

*Alex:
Could the reverse be a horseman or a Centaur?    ???

Alex.

Jochen:
I have seen this type before! It is Scylla (Skylla) l., with dolphin and holding rudder(?) over shoulder. The obv. seems to be Plautilla. There is a similar coin from Nicomedia but AE21, Rec. Gen. 253. The pic is from Wildwinds.

Comment from Ancient Coin Art: Caracalla had been forced to marry Plautilla and didn't like her, and one can imagine a hidden meaning to a reverse depicting a female monster sporting a hair style remarkably similar to Plautilla's on the obverse

Best regards

areich:
That's it!
Such a shame it's in such poor condition, it seems to be pretty rare.

slokind:
I seriously doubt that Plautilla ordered her own coinage types, even to the extent of having something comparable with the Augusta of the elder Augustus.  Either Septimius's agents or her father's will have had any external say-so that there was.  Nicomedia, on the other hand, shows considerable spirit and playfulness, almost, in the best of its Severan issues.  Ask Jochen to post the link to where he posted his Leda and the Swan!  Pat L.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version