Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Alexandria - Tranquilliana - Year 6  (Read 163 times)

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
Alexandria - Tranquilliana - Year 6
« on: May 30, 2023, 06:15:15 am »
For a friend, I am identifying these days about fifty coins from Alexandria, Ptolemean to Roman.
I have some difficulty with this Tranquilliana, year six, which type I can only find with the helmeted Athena Nikephora, shield against the chair.
Our specimen, which I cannot find on the www, has on the reverse an other person on the chair. Does anyone have a reference for this type?

And a second question: When I read on wikipedia about Tranquilliana, her active years are noted 241 to 244. What about that "Year 6" than? Or is that the 6th regnal year of Gordianus III ?

Here is the coin:

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: Alexandria - Tranquilliana - Year 6
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2023, 06:28:27 am »

Milne 3451, Nike seated l.

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=29595

Yes it is year 6 of Gordian III.

Pekka K

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
Re: Alexandria - Tranquilliana - Year 6
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2023, 06:39:40 am »
Pekka ! We were born the same year. I am your age, but you know lots more about ancient coins than I do, that 's for sure.
Thank you very much and probably till soon  :).

All coins are guaranteed for eternity