Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Rarity of two Alexandrian coins  (Read 290 times)

Offline Robert

• Praetorian
Rarity of two Alexandrian coins
« on: May 26, 2023, 07:03:16 pm »
Greetings!
Recently I bought for a pittance these two coins in a weak condition from Alexandria: the obol of Augustus and the diobol of Nero. This caused my eyes to shift from the coinage of Judea to the coinage of Egypt as a Roman province. I wanted to buy Emmett's book, Alexandrian coins. But unfortunately there is no shipping to Poland. If anyone on this forum has this book, I would like to ask if these two coins are scarce, rare or very rare?

Thank you!

Robert

Offline Robert

• Praetorian
Re: Rarity of two Alexandrian coins
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2023, 07:04:03 pm »
and other side...

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2023, 07:55:48 pm »
Hi Robert,

I don't have any information on the Nero coin. However, I recognized the Augustus coin immediately, because I have one.

Here is my example (last coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/rp_egypt_pt01.htm

Meepzorp

Offline Robert

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2023, 12:00:07 pm »
Quote from: Meepzorp on May 26, 2023, 07:55:48 pm
Hi Robert,

I don't have any information on the Nero coin. However, I recognized the Augustus coin immediately, because I have one.

Here is my example (last coin):

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/meepzorp/rp_egypt_pt01.htm

Meepzorp

Meepzorp, thank you very much for your comment. You have a beatifull coins. I see that August's obol is signed R1, according to the rarity scale of what author is it given? Is there any explanation what exactly R1 means?

Robert

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2023, 01:58:00 pm »

RPC I, 5009: https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/1/5009

Specimens   11 (20 in the core collections)

RPC I, 5321:  https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/1/5321

Specimens   4 (5 in the core collections)

Pekka K

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2023, 02:41:39 pm »
Quote from: Robert on May 27, 2023, 12:00:07 pm
Meepzorp, thank you very much for your comment. You have a beatifull coins. I see that August's obol is signed R1, according to the rarity scale of what author is it given? Is there any explanation what exactly R1 means?

Robert

Hi Robert,

That is a pedigreed coin from the Lindgren collection. I purchased that coin many years ago from Mr. Lindgren before he passed away. I purchased it so long ago that I don't remember offhand where I obtained the rarity information from. It was probably written on the paper packet that contained the coin, which Mr. Lindgren typically used. In all likelihood, I obtained the rarity information from Mr. Lindgren. And he probably obtained it from RPC. Or I may have obtained it directly from RPC or inferred it from references, including the RPC specimen count, as Pekka provided.

R1 means "Rare". On the rarity scale, it is between Scarce and R2 (Very Rare).

By the way, Pekka's specimen count confirms that it is a R1 coin. That is consistent with a R1 coin.

Meepzorp

Offline Robert

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2023, 01:50:28 pm »

RPC I, 5009: https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/1/5009

Specimens   11 (20 in the core collections)

RPC I, 5321:  https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/1/5321

Specimens   4 (5 in the core collections)

Pekka K

Pekka K thank you for the links to rpc, I got there before, but I didn't know how well the number of coins given in rpc reflects the rarity of a particular coin.

Robert

Offline Robert

• Praetorian
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2023, 01:54:50 pm »
Quote from: Meepzorp on May 27, 2023, 02:41:39 pm
Quote from: Robert on May 27, 2023, 12:00:07 pm

Robert

Hi Robert,

That is a pedigreed coin from the Lindgren collection. I purchased that coin many years ago from Mr. Lindgren before he passed away. I purchased it so long ago that I don't remember offhand where I obtained the rarity information from. It was probably written on the paper packet that contained the coin, which Mr. Lindgren typically used. In all likelihood, I obtained the rarity information from Mr. Lindgren. And he probably obtained it from RPC. Or I may have obtained it directly from RPC or inferred it from references, including the RPC specimen count, as Pekka provided.

R1 means "Rare". On the rarity scale, it is between Scarce and R2 (Very Rare).

By the way, Pekka's specimen count confirms that it is a R1 coin. That is consistent with a R1 coin.

Meepzorp

Ooo, it is coin with a good history!
 It turns out from specimen count that Nero's diobol is rarer than Augustus's obol. Could it already be R2, very rare?

Greetings,
Robert

All coins are guaranteed for eternity