Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Bizya? Check. Zoomorphic Galley? Check. Who Is The Emperor?  (Read 185 times)

Offline Pete B

• Consul
Hello Everyone! Hope you're having a nice night of it... this is 26mm and struck in Orichalcum. It seems obvious that it was issued in Bizya, as the town's name appears in Greek above the galley that looks like a crocodile. The obverse has the portrait facing right; I think he has a slight beard. I can see "...CO(S)VII PM IMP..." in the top part of the legend, which appears to be in Latin. This doesn't seem to be in RPC, or any other place I've looked. The obverse die looks like it shattered, breaking from the M of IMP to and across the head. Any ideas as to the identity of the figure would be greatly appreciated!

Online Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: Bizya? Check. Zoomorphic Galley? Check. Who Is The Emperor?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2023, 01:37:19 am »

Offline Pete B

• Consul
Re: Bizya? Check. Zoomorphic Galley? Check. Who Is The Emperor?
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2023, 10:09:21 am »
Thank You, Pekka, as usual. For a coin that I couldn't find they sure aren't hiding...

All coins are guaranteed for eternity