Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Possible fake  (Read 616 times)

Offline Krasimir P

• Legionary
Possible fake
« on: February 10, 2023, 10:24:43 am »
Hello partners.
Marc Antony and Octavian Denarius. Not from Ebay.
I have many doubts that it is authentic. I don't have more photos of the coin and I don't know its weight. I have reviewed the coin report, found several similar ones, but not exactly this one. I have discussed it with several people and most of them agree with me.
As this is the best website for Roman coins, with many experts on the subject, I would like to know your opinion.
Thanks and greetings to all.

Offline Krasimir P

• Legionary
Re: Possible fake
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2023, 01:40:48 am »
Thanks for notifying. I have edited the description. Sorry

Offline Krasimir P

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2023, 02:44:02 pm »
Read 117 times and no one leaves their opinion?

Offline dwarf

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2023, 03:07:11 pm »
An opinion doesn't help - you need proof.
And when this is not possible - it is wise to keep silent.

There is no problem to get an expert's opinion - problem is that you have to pay for it

Offline Curtis JJ

• Caesar
    • CONSERVATORI: Ancient Coins & Their Provenances
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2023, 03:08:28 pm »
Read 117 times and no one leaves their opinion?

Sometimes you can't tell with any real confidence just from a photo. I'm sure many people have opinions or hunches, but if they don't have any strong reason to believe one way or another (e.g. having seen a "die-match/cast-mate" in the Fake Reports), they may fel that posting a guess doesn't really do any good.

I don't have any special expertise in Imperatorial denarii so I can't give a confident answer.

(Since the only context was that it's not your coin, it may also sound like you were vetting a prospective purchase, which is against the rules.)
“Collect the collectors…” John W Adams’ advice to J Orosz (Asylum 38, 2: p51)

Galleries https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=27154

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2023, 04:08:35 pm »
Yes, I assumed he was screening a purchase.

Offline Krasimir P

• Legionary
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2023, 12:54:58 am »
Thanks for your comments.
The purchase is already made (not by me). The fact is that this seller sells very dubious coins (I think he knows they are bad). I wanted to collect more opinions about the coin... and prevent possible fraud in the future by this seller.
I think that on this website everyone can express their opinion freely and in this way help each other...
Greetings to all.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2023, 09:47:49 am »
If I had an opinion, I would have shared it. I would have to see this coin in hand to have an opinion.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2023, 11:18:04 am »
There is an old Latin saying that applies to any dealer who has "dubious" coins:  Falsus in uno, falsus in omnibus

All coins are guaranteed for eternity