Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Sword or Spear?  (Read 552 times)

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
Sword or Spear?
« on: February 08, 2023, 06:57:25 am »
This is a John II half tetarteron, the official description has St. Demetrius holding a sword, however when looking at my other photographed example it appears clearly to be a spear. I have psted three examples, two that look like spears one that looks like a sword.

Is this a variation #1 or was the description misattributed to begin with. Opinions are welcome, as are other examples.

:Greek_Beta:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Online glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
Re: Sword or Spear?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2023, 03:25:54 am »
Tricky question when you think of it.
Spears are often held across the body but still I'd call this a short spear or javelin.
The odd thing is that it is jewelled like a sceptre, although of course the saint is in military attire (and saints don't carry sceptres as far as I can recall).

Ross G.

Offline Gert

• Procurator Monetae
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My Vcoins store
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2023, 03:26:49 pm »
I also think it must be a spear:

1) Taking into account contemporary images of St. Demetrios on seals, they all show spears.
2) In depictions of Saints or emperors holding a sword in a similar upward way, the sword is engraved with more mass, i.e. like an actual sword. Compare the nomismata of Isaac Comnenus, and especially his seals, which have a half-length bust like St. Demetrios (https://www.doaks.org/resources/online-exhibits/gods-regents-on-earth-a-thousand-years-of-byzantine-imperial-seals/not-born-in-the-purple-interlopers-and-usurpers/isaac-i-komnenos-1057-59)
3) The weapon in the hands of St. Demetrios does not have cross-guard, which would be expected if it was a sword.
Regards
Gert

Offline joma-tk

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2023, 02:17:44 pm »
Spear,
at least on the attached example

tk

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2023, 06:11:38 pm »
Spear,
at least on the attached example

tk

Thank you and that is a really nice example.  I have yet to find any clear example of a sword. It must be a mistake.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity