Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Reading Macabian Inscriptions  (Read 560 times)

blank

Reading Macabian Inscriptions
« on: January 27, 2023, 11:31:18 pm »
I'm been studying this and still stumped by these coins I picked up.  Can anyone identify this inscription

I see three letters on the top line, a Yud, Hey and Tav? 
There is a Nun at the end of the second line

a

Re: Reading Macabian Inscriptions
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2023, 01:22:04 am »
YNT
NHKH
**DLVH
YH

This is King Yonatan's coin

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2023, 05:13:48 am »
Please upload your images, links brake over time and become a useless reference.

Thanks

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2023, 08:39:18 am »
I uploaded them.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

blank

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2023, 10:16:50 am »
I uploaded them.

My servers are older than this forum and been on line longer since 2000-03-17

blank

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2023, 10:29:21 am »
YNT
NHKH
**DLVH
YH

Thanks - The closest Hendin example I see is 6185 (pg 177 in the latest text), but that doesn't seem right either.  It looks like it is not classified by Hendin

blank

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2023, 11:06:09 am »
is it an overstrike?

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2023, 04:41:50 pm »
I uploaded them.

My servers are older than this forum and been on line longer since 2000-03-17

It is also annoying to have to click to see photos rather than just see photos.  We ask our members to upload photos and not use links.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

blank

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2023, 04:52:35 pm »
You're servers wouldn't allow for it when I tried it.  Evidently, my camera's take larger images that your capacity and produce greater detail.  I also politely ask you to respect my copyrights.  I might post an image which I don't really care that you copy.  I might post a link to an album for 60 images

blank

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2023, 05:02:45 pm »
YNT
NHKH
**DLVH
YH

Thanks - The closest Hendin example I see is 6185 (pg 177 in the latest text), but that doesn't seem right either.  It looks like it is not classified by Hendin

is it an overstrike?

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2023, 06:31:54 pm »
You're servers wouldn't allow for it when I tried it.  Evidently, my camera's take larger images that your capacity and produce greater detail.  I also politely ask you to respect my copyrights.  I might post an image which I don't really care that you copy.  I might post a link to an album for 60 images

Please reduce the size of your images and upload them if you are asking for assistance with identification or opinions on authenticity. Of course you are welcome to post links to an album rather than upload 60 images.

As for copyrights, for the most part, we believe just about any use of images here is educational and fair use. We have had only a few requests to remove images from this discussion since it started more than 20 years ago. We will usually remove images when a copyright holder asks us to remove them, but we don't consider it until they ask. I say usually because we have had requests to remove fake coin report images. We did not remove them.

I doubt the veracity of most copyright claims for ancient coin photos. Most photos of coins are not original creative art. The copyright on the original work, created when the coin was struck, is long expired. Some spectacular creative ancient coin photos might be protected but most have nothing creative about them.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2023, 02:41:24 am »
I find the discussion of copyrights on photos of ancient things somewhat interesting, as well as ludicrous. There are images from museum holdings where the photographer claims copyright. And many museums also only allow certain photographers to create images, some have favoritism and false scarcity going on here. Frankly, all that is BS, 2000 year old objects being photographed today should have no copyright rights attached to them at all unless used in a unique way. And I am a photographer who trys to sell images of some of my photos. But, my photos of ancient coins are open to all. All images I post on Forum, I reduce the size so that will upload. Doesn't take much to do that. They also look fine. Server space costs money and there is no need for high resolution huge images here, Or anywhere on the Internet. Unlimited storage space costs money.

Virgil

blank

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2023, 11:24:48 pm »
I really just wanted to discuss this coin, not copyright law from non-lawyers.  I asked nicely, please do not modify or alter my images as I have copyright.  I will refrain in the future from posting here or posting images. 

I am actually very generous when it comes to licensing and sharing my images, but it is still my copyright on my photographs.  You can at least ask.  I have reasons (more than one) to sometimes use a link rather than upload my images to your servers.

Thank you for your kindness and attention to this matter.

Reuvain

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2023, 01:26:31 pm »
Bye bye.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President