Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Justin II double strike  (Read 561 times)

Offline carpatic

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
Justin II double strike
« on: January 20, 2023, 01:08:46 pm »
This doble strike looks to me an ANNO IIII over ANNO I
Are there both layers Justin II? It looks like this to me. Why would it be over stroke like this?

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Re: Justin II double strike
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2023, 03:32:39 pm »
Great coin!  I think the overstrike  coin is Heraclius and Heraclius Constantine but there seems to be multiple strikes so it is very complex.

Offline carpatic

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2023, 06:32:42 am »
Thank you, v-drome.
Do you think that we can see more specific information?

Offline Byzantofil

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2023, 03:51:14 am »
If you want specific information, so your follis was minted in the fourth year of the reign of Emperor Heraclius (613-614). Here you see Heracleus with his young son Heracleus Constantine. This follis looks like this:

Offline Byzantofil

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2023, 03:53:55 am »
And in the form of a coin blank, the old emperor Phokas follis, the deposed predecessor of Heraclius, was taken. It was a follis minted in Constantinople in the first year of the reign of Phokas and Empress Leontia (602-603). And this coin looked like this:

Offline Byzantofil

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2023, 03:57:32 am »
Another part of someone's head with the nimbus is also visible, but perhaps this is a defect in the Phokas follis mint process (turning and re-strike with the same stamp).

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2023, 12:31:16 pm »
 +++. Great job, Byzantofil!

Offline carpatic

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2023, 09:44:32 am »
Fantastic identification, thank you Byzantofil!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity