Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Thracia Apollonia Coin set in a Ring  (Read 448 times)

Offline Ilya K

• Auxiliary
Thracia Apollonia Coin set in a Ring
« on: January 06, 2023, 02:42:20 pm »
hi all,

I purchased the pictured coin as part of a ring from an extremely reputable source. As I got interested in the origin of the coin, I found all the references online to the black sea hoard and the NY hoard of this type of coin. While normally I would never question the authenticity coming from this source, since these are so highly faked I wanted to ask:

Is this authentic in your opinion?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Ilya K

• Auxiliary
Re: Thracia Apollonia Coin set in a Ring
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2023, 02:43:19 pm »
photo of the back attached

Online Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Thracia Apollonia Coin set in a Ring
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2023, 04:01:35 pm »
It is very difficult to judge authenticity of a coin in a ring. I do not find it suspicious at all based on the photos, but if it was mine I would compare it with the known fakes to look for die matches. I would not expect to find one.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity