Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Herclean follis with countermark?  (Read 620 times)

Offline DagonX

• Praetorian
Herclean follis with countermark?
« on: October 25, 2022, 01:56:36 pm »
Hello!

Today I recieved recently bought Heraclius follis (probably SB 806 from 625/626 /RY XЧI/). Is there a countermark on the obverse or is it just my imagination? I've done my best with the photos, I'm not able to do anything better.

I don't know is it helpful but coin has about 18,3-26,5 mm and 3,5 g.

Thanks for help!

Offline Kevin D

• Consul
Re: Herclean follis with countermark?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2022, 02:46:20 pm »
I don't see a countermark.

I am also not well versed in countermarks, so I could be missing one in your images.

I think your images are good enough to reveal a countermark, or at least the hint of one.

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2022, 02:13:51 am »

Those are traces of undertype due weak strike on that part of flan.

Pekka K

Offline DagonX

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2022, 12:16:32 pm »
Thanks a lot!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity