Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: An early denarius and sestertius with incuse ROMA legends  (Read 685 times)

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
An early denarius and sestertius with incuse ROMA legends
« on: October 17, 2022, 06:05:58 pm »
Hello, I would like to ask you for advice concerning two rare Early Republican silver coins; a denarius and a sestertius, the denarius with fully incuse, the sestertius with not-quite-but-certainly-intended incuse ROMA legends.

I did search the website about early anonymous denarii http://stevebrinkman.ancients.info/anonymous/ but found no coins that quite match these; the denarius is quite different in style from Cr. 45/1, and nowhere did I find a sestertius with an incuse legend. What did I miss?

The denarius weighs 3.98 g, is of fine style and has a die axis of 6 o’clock.
The sestertius weighs 0.84 g, the style is much coarser but quite spirited; the incuse legend is not as neatly done, but hey, it’s a tiny coin. The die axis is 8 (!) o’clock. On the zoom picture, I painted the incuse areas red.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: An early denarius and sestertius with incuse ROMA legends
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2022, 06:06:51 pm »
And here are the pictures of the sestertius.

Rupert

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2022, 07:46:45 pm »
Rupert, I believe these are both "semi-incuse" legend varieties of the Crawford 44 series, not not fully-incuse legends of Crawford 45.  Looking closely at the Denarius, you can see where the "O" was once in relief, but has been flattened through wear, giving it the appearance of an incuse "O".  This is particularly noticeable on the right side of the "O" where remnants of the relief outline are most visible.  On the sestertius, the M and the A appear to be in relief, the A having an "open" crossbar. These worn, semi-incuse legends can often be mistaken for fully-incuse, particularly in photos.  However, a full incuse legend on early denarius coinage is VERY rare

I have a semi-incuse, Crawford 44 series Denarius in my collection, with a less worn and more struck-up legend, which you can see in my Forum Gallery here: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=144058

If you study it, you can see how a lot of wear to this "semi-incuse" legend could give the appearance of full-incuse.

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2022, 06:19:30 pm »
Thanks for your answer! Can you point me to any picture of a sestertius with (semi-) incuse legend? I have never seen one so far.

Rupert

All coins are guaranteed for eternity