Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Finding the mint for this Theodosius I coin.  (Read 673 times)

Offline Grant W

• Legionary
Finding the mint for this Theodosius I coin.
« on: October 17, 2022, 03:20:16 am »
Hi, first time poster. I've just started with Ancients and purchased some cheapy little bronzes. I am trying to attribute a mint to this coin, the mint mark to me is unreadable. I came across some images and descriptions and found a few that look similar to this coin.
So I'm guessing it is Theodosius I
the Obverse
D N THEODO-SIVS P F AVG: Bust of Theodosius I, pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed, right

The reverse
SALVS REI-PVBLICAE: Victory advancing left, with right hand carrying trophy on shoulder and dragging captive with left; in left field:Tao-Rho:;

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Finding the mint for this Theodosius I coin.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2022, 06:21:47 pm »
Definitely Theodosius.

It appears that the tops of the letters of the mint mark are visible.  This little clue can help if you know the various possibilities.

What I see appears to match one of the most common mints - Antioch.  It looks like the tops of ANT.  Unfortunately the 4th letter which would indicate officina is not visible - to me at least.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Grant W

• Legionary
Re: Finding the mint for this Theodosius I coin.
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2022, 06:28:16 pm »
Thanks for that SC. I can now see the tops of ANT, but if you hadn't mentioned it I don't think I would ever have made it out.
Much obliged.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity