Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Alleged Philip II stater from Olympia  (Read 933 times)

Online Hydatius

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Alleged Philip II stater from Olympia
« on: July 05, 2022, 08:27:23 am »
A former student sent me these photos of a coin he and his uncle bought at a car boot sale in the UK. I think it provides a good example of all the tell-tale signs of forgery, including a really obvious seam around the edge. As you know this isn't my period of expertise, so I was hoping someone could add it to the Fakes Gallery with the appropriate data.
Richard
Non tam praeclarum est scire Latine quam turpe nescire.

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Alleged Philip II stater from Olympia
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2022, 10:35:02 am »
Yes indeed, a modern cast forgery.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2022, 10:05:32 am »
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Online Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2022, 09:49:49 am »
It is a cast fake, it was made by a German bank called Sparkasse and they are very common.
I do not know how it was possible to obtain them.
I have some too and wil try to get the complete set with description if it will be available for a really low price.
They sould not fool anyone.

Offline antoninus1

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2022, 03:13:56 am »
It is a cast fake, it was made by a German bank called Sparkasse and they are very common.
I do not know how it was possible to obtain them.

In 1971 or 1972 as child I participated in a "Sparkasse Youth Olympic Competition" (Sparkassen Olympia-Jugendpreisausschreiben) related to the upcoming Olympic Games in Munich. I won a copy of the Athenian tetradrachm and a copy of a small African drum (I never knew what the drum had to do with the Olympic Games) :)
I was so fascinated by the tetradrachm that I knew that as an adult I would buy a real one. It took about 40 years until I did it :)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2022, 11:00:24 am »
Nice story antoninus1.

These will not fool experienced collectors, but they will fool most non-collectors. Fake coin reports please.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity