Resources > Ancient and Medieval Coin Identification Help

Seleucid coin help please. Antiochus?

<< < (2/2)

Jude B:
Thanks to everyone for the responses here. Really helpful.

I don't know how I got the weight wrong, it does actually weigh 16g and has a diameter of 2.8cm

I hope this helps to verify it as genuine.

Altamura:

--- Quote from: Jude B on April 17, 2022, 03:44:40 pm ---... I don't know how I got the weight wrong, it does actually weigh 16g ...
--- End quote ---
That's perfect. In SCOnline there is on each page at the bottom given an average weight of all the coins shown on the page, in this case it is 16.05 g  :):  http://numismatics.org/sco/id/sc.1.1984.1

Regards

Altamura

Jude B:
Thank you so much for helping me with this.

It's not proper to discuss value on this forum, according to it's rules. But as a newbie here could anyone give me some clues as to where to look in order to get an idea? I have scoured the web looking for another example of this coin but drawn a blank. Is there a price guide somewhere?

Any advice would really helpful.

Virgil H:
Try doing a search on coinarchives.com. It lists values realized at auctions for many ancient coins for free for a certain number of coins. You can get an idea of current value this way, but you have to consider condition, as well as other factors. Search for SC 1984.1. There are a couple results. You can also search for the ruler and sift through probably many more results, but you have to find your specific coin. Also, wildwinds.com is great (search by ruler) for identification of coins, sometimes for some values (that will be in the text link for the coin), but only if the value was known and often quite old, still can be helpful to give you an idea. I use both to get a ballpark idea of what a coin might be worth.

Virgil

Jude B:
Hi Virgil,

So sorry for the late response. Your advice is extremely useful. Many thanks for helping me fully understand what I have.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version