Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Reading Sasanian coin (Kavad + countermark)  (Read 932 times)

Offline Graham S

• Praetorian
Reading Sasanian coin (Kavad + countermark)
« on: January 03, 2022, 04:43:11 pm »
I'm trying to learn to read Sasanian coins and struggling a bit. The photos are (I think) a Kavad I, BN mint. The inscriptions seem fairly clear, but I can't read the date (all I have to go by is https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=Sasanian%20Dates). I can't read the text with the ruler's name, either, but I don't know what that should say on Kavad's coins. 

There is also a countermark by Kavad's left shoulder. The square border is quite clear but the mark inside the border is not really visible - maybe an animal? Is there any known meaning to countermarks like this? I've looked on zeno.ru but there are no other examples for Kavad.

thanks
Graham

Offline Michael C8

• Legionary
    • Ancient Coin Club of Los Angeles
Re: Reading Sasanian coin (Kavad + countermark)
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2022, 10:01:29 pm »
Hi Graham:

I read it as BN Year 20.

I can see the countermark "square" in the margin at about 8 o'clock but no details so I can't help with the countermark.

Mike

Offline Graham S

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2022, 11:07:34 am »
Thanks Mike

Thanks for the '20' - though the last character being a horizontal line instead of a vertical one is a bit annoying,  seems you can expect the characters to vary randomly! Any idea what the inscription on the obverse says? It's too long to be just 'kavad'.

I've tried cleaning the countermark, but still can't make it out.

Graham

Offline Michael C8

• Legionary
    • Ancient Coin Club of Los Angeles
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2022, 09:49:29 pm »
Graham:

It's 2 words. Gobl renders it as Kavad (the first word starting from the right) followed by "strength" or "force".

Mike

Offline Graham S

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2022, 06:02:05 am »
Thanks Mike

It's a shame no-one reprints Gobl: even tatty copies cost a lot, and I've never found a digitised one.

Graham

Offline Vadim Y

• Auxiliary
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2022, 06:29:46 am »
Hi!
It looks more like not a countermark, but the remnants of a pendant attachment.

Offline Graham S

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2022, 06:16:49 am »
Vadim: Ah, I hadn't even thought of that. It makes sense:

- The raised edge round the square doesn't look like the result of striking, but could be the result of pushing an attachment into soft solder
- All I can see inside is a shapeless splodge
- When cleaned (lemon juice and distilled water) the area inside the square took on a slightly coppery tinge, as if there was a different metal there from the rest of the coin

On the other hand,

- Hanging a pendant there would leave the kings head upside down, which doesn't seem the obvious thing to do

On balance I think you must be right. Thanks!

Graham

All coins are guaranteed for eternity